2 Star Lounger
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Thanks
    I have a problem that is causing me a considerable amount of heartburn. I spend my summers in Maine from May to October and for several years have succesfully used LogMeIn (presently using LogMeIn Pro2) to remotely connect to and manage my computer in North Carolina. The NC computer is a new Dell Studio XPS 8100 running Windows 7 Home Premium which was purchased in February of this year so I had a somewhat limited amount of time to use it before heading to Maine. I have been a long term "XP holdout" and this is my first exposure to Win7. The new machine has an Intel i5 processor, 8GB of memory and a 1TB HDD. All Windows updates have been installed and I use Sunbelt Software VIPRE Premium 4 with a built-in firewall to "keep the bad guys out".

Anyway, to the problem at hand- the computer is left running 24/7 for me to have access to it and up until a week or two ago I had no problems at all remotely connecting, sometimes several times a day. In the last couple weeks I have had several instances of the computer going "Offline" as reported by LogMeIn, i.e., completely shut down. There is, of course, no way (that I know of) for me to turn it back on from 1000 miles away and I have had a friend go to my house to turn it back on. He is understandably getting a little weary of running back and forth to bail me out. My basic question is- is there any way at all to determine what might be causing the computer to, apparently randomly, shut down??? I have looked at Event Viewer (quite a bit different in Win7 than in XP) after getting back online and I don't see any clues there, but what do I know?

If anyone could give me some guidance how to get back running trouble free, I would be eternally grateful.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Are you sure it is shutdown and not hibernated?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Ensure that if a crash is responsible, you have your operating system restart afterward;
    Enter "Advanced system settings" in windows 7 search, go to "settings", to the right of start up & recovery.
    ensure that there is a check mark in the "automatically restart" box.

Go back over your advanced power settings to ensure nothing is causing a shut down.
    Learning Windows 7: Manage Power Settings
    How to Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 7
    EventID.Net - Troubleshooting over 10,000 Windows event log entries
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP-

Thanks for the reply. As far a I know it should not be hibernated as I have never set it up to do so and should be powered on 24/7. Also, when my friend goes to the house the computer is turned off.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ExiledMainer View Post
    As far a I know it should not be hibernated as I have never set it up to do so and should be powered on 24/7. Also, when my friend goes to the house the computer is turned off.
    Windows 7 is usually setup sleep after a short perioed of time and then hibernate after a somewhat longer period. Unless you are sure you've changed the power settings, you need to check the power scheme.

Note: Hibernation just writes the contents of memory to a disk file, sets things so that the disk file is used when Windows is restarted, and powers down the PC. So, it is off.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint-

Thanks for the post. The NC computer is still down at this point but when I get it started back up I will check out the advanced system settings. For the last few shutdown events there does not seem to be any indication that there was a crash. It seems to be more like a normal graceful shutdown. Is there any way of determining if some action is taking place with no user intervention that results in the computer being shut down? If that were the case, it seems like I should be able to prevent that from happening in the future. I am truly at a loss since my routine was running for 2 months with no problem.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP-

Thanks for the SPEEDY response! The NC computer is still down at this point but when I get it started back up I will check out the power scheme.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since my last post/reply I have had the NC computer up and running again. I have checked the power settings and the computer is set up to be always on and never hibernate. It stayed online for several days this time but as of last night it went offline again in the middle of a remote LogMeIn session as I was checking my NC Outlook email. It is still offline at this point as I have not yet been able ot get anyone to the house to restart. I have checked Event Viewer on several occasions but nothing that I can find gives me any clue what is going on. Does anyone know of ANY way to check ongoing computer activity or of any tracking software that would do that, especially at the time it goes offline???

This is getting extremely aggravating and I will not be back in NC for at least another six weeks and really need to have access to that machine!

Administrator
    Thanks
    If the machine is suddenly powering off the problem could be several things. You could have any of the following problems: excessive heat , power supply impending failure, a brief power outage.

Is your NC home prone to power failures?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP-

Thanks for the reply! This computer is only about 8 months old so I would certainly hope that there is no problem associated with either excessive heat or an impending power supply failure. I do have a 3-year on-site warranty from Dell if that should turn out to be the case. However, in western NC we do experience some glitches in power supply. I have contacted Duke Energy after several of these unexpected shutdowns and they report that there were no reported outages in my area at the time of the shutdown (for what that is worth!).

My UPS went "belly up" just before I left for Maine so I have not had that protection in place so far this summer. I have just ordered a Back-Ups ES 750VA from APC and, with a little help from my friend in NC, that should be in place in a week or so. APC tried to sell me a SmartUPS for about 3X the cost but I respectfully declined since my original Back-UPS Pro 420A served me well and adequately for about 14 years. The new UPS has a switchover delay of about 8ms (vs. 2ms for the SmartUPS) but that should be adequate to cover the occasional "off and right back on" events that we occasionally experience. I have no idea if a power glitch is causing the problem but (unfortunately!) tend to think probably not. Something VERY strange seems to be afoot...

Administrator
    Thanks
    It is really hard to debug when both parties are remote from the problem system. I'd hope the UPS solves it. Beyond that I think you need to be with the system to get any further.

Joe
    Joe