Thread: cc cleaner

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have windows xp and ran cc cleaner. now the computer is dead . Won't boot up ,the cd rom won't work monator doesn't come on key board doesn't work. Can any one help. it has power

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you elaborate a liitle, did CC finish its scan, if so what did it find and did you fix issues? When you say it won't boot, what happens exactly, can you not start in safe mode either?

Graham

Thanks
    I would believe there was something else amiss with you PC long before you ran CCleaner. Were you having unexpected problems that caused you to think CCleaner could help? I have most often seen malware and/or viruses causing these kinds of problems. I have run CCleaner hundreds of times on numerous PCes with NO adverse effects. You may be at a point that a complete format and reinstall would solve your problem quicker than trying to fidure things out remotely.

How old is this PC? Desktop or laptop? I've also see hardware failures cause these types of problems.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Its a desktop about three years old. not having problems. Just deleting sons temp files. I can't reformat as nothing works. The fan comes on but really loud. Don't want to bring to repair shop if there isn't any hope. cc cleaner didn't finish its scan.the computer just stopped, everything shut down but it was still turned on. I restarted but wouldn't boot

Thanks
    Have you not been able to enter the bios?
    Any audible bios beeps?
    How comfortable are you with opening the case and tinkering about?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is nothing . no beeps only a loud fan. I can open the case install memory, remove hard drive and thats about it. I doubt if I can hurt it at this point

Thanks
    Some things to try if your up to it...

Shut the power off, open up the case, and clean as much dust out of there as possible with a can of compressed air.
    Ensure everything that is attached to the mainboard is seated snugly/properly...Then reseat them. Ensure all
    power connectors and data cables are intact and make snug contact with their respective components.
    Give the board a good look over for any burned or leaking components, like chokes and capacitors (respectively).
    If your ambitious, you may want to reseat the processor by removing the heatsink fan essembly to clean and reapply thermal greese to the processor surface.
    If you have some spare components lying around, like a psu or a compatible processor, you can try troubleshooting by swapping
    them out. I suspect the processor.
    If you do find damage to the board, like leaking capacitors or burned out chokes, then your board is in all likelihood hosed.
    If none of the above seems to resolve anything and you don't have spare parts to swap out, then a trip to a
    local, trusted, and reputable repair shop may be in order, that is, if it's actually worth it to you, and you can't see any
    overt damage to the board.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    If you can't get to the BIOS screen, you have experienced a hardware failure. CCleaner had nothing to do with the problem. As Clint mentioned above, open up the PC and clean as much dust out as possible.
    I would remove everything except the Video card, Keyboard, and memory. That includes hard disk cables and all add on cards. I would also remove all memory except one stick which I would reseat first. Watch to ensure the CPU fan runs when you try to boot next. Most PCs won't boot if the CPU fan isn't running. If you can now get the BIOS screen to display, add things back a little at a time until you isolate the bad component. If you still can't get a BIOS screen, I would suspect a bad power supply.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help. I'll try it after I get some thermal grease. Have nothing to loose.

Thanks
    Boy this definitely sounds like a harware problem. I would even look at the power supply. I have seen really wierd failures from the power supply. If a voltage is even a little off, very bad things can happen. The cleanup, visual inspection, reseating, etc. already mentioned could be tried relatively easily. I may be wrong, but generally when a fan goes you start getting some type of symptoms as components overheat before complete failure. This may very well be one of those failures that will require professional help. Take it somewhere that will give an estimate before starting. Then you can decide if the cost is better spent on replacement rather than repair.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    hi I want to thank you all for your help. I finally broke down and took it to the repair shop. found out it is the power supply. It will be fixed soon and I'll be happy and my granddaughter more so as all her games are on it. Glad not to loose all my pictures as I haven't backed them up for two months

Thanks again

Virg

Thanks
    Thanks for the update.
    Now, Backup!
    Please.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by virginia Aho View Post
    hi I want to thank you all for your help. I finally broke down and took it to the repair shop. found out it is the power supply. It will be fixed soon and I'll be happy and my granddaughter more so as all her games are on it. Glad not to loose all my pictures as I haven't backed them up for two months

Thanks again

Virg

It sure sounded like it could have been the power supply. This can create problems from minor wierd failures to what you saw, DEAD!!! Glad you were able to get it fixed. Please consider Imaging for your back up needs. Many threads, especially in the Security and Backups area discuss this. Take a look.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    just reading this and was going to say power supply but you beat me and had it repaired! Good for you. Have had a few power supplies go bad and thankfully it is an easy fix. Yep time to get an image backup habit started.
    registered Linux user:476595