Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I got my copy of Office 2010 but now face the quandary of whether to install it as 32-bit or 64-bit. Does anyone have any experience with the 64-bit version? Is it noticeably better in performance?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    I got my copy of Office 2010 but now face the quandary of whether to install it as 32-bit or 64-bit. Does anyone have any experience with the 64-bit version? Is it noticeably better in performance?
    For maximum compatibility, you would choose 32-bit. When I attended the Office 2010 mini roll-out event, the only benefit of 64-bit appeared to be for large and compute-intensive Excel models, and Excel applications that consumed prodigious quantities of data (e.g., front end database solution). I'm sure there are some other scenarios where the extra memory is of value for some users, but probably not for most people.

Thanks
    As Jeff mentions, if this is for home use go 32 Bit. There are more features available. Most home users and small business users just do not need the extra computing power. You will find more compatibility with the 32 Bit version. MS does not even make installing the 64 Bit version very user friendly. The default edition is 32 Bit. Use it an enjoy. I did and have not thought about looking back.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    @Ted and @jscher: Agreed.

@bill: You will also find that many (most?) of the add-ins created for the 32-bit version will not work with the 64-bit one. For example, if you are familiar and comfortable with office 2003 and have not used office 2007, you may find the new Ribbon interface intimidating and difficult to adjust to. There is an add-in called the Ubit Menu (available here: http://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenu-languages) that gives you the option of using 2003-like menus instead of the ribbon. Pretty useful while you are getting used to the Ribbon. But the Ubit menu does not work with the [s]32-bit [/s]version of office.

CORRECTION

Thanks to jscher2000 for pointing out a serious "typo" in this post. the final sentence should read: "But the Ubit menu does [s]not[/s] work with the 64-bit version of office".

CORRECTION to CORRECTION

I have just personally installed and used Ubit Menu with Office 2010 64-bit. It works perfectly!!! So, the last sentence before CORRECTION above should read: the Ubit menu does work with the 64-bit version of office".[/color]

I am very sorry if this caused any confusion or misled anyone "mea culpa" as the Romans would have said.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is for my main business workstation. I'm not a heavy Excel user, so I wouldn't get much benefit there. I have read that there is a noticeable difference in Outlook with the 64-bit version. That is an application I do use heavily, but I don't know that I could live without my add-ins for that. I'm a dedicated user of SpamBayes for mail filtering and it has performed flawlessly for years even though the development of that add-in appears to have stopped with Office 2003.

The 32-bit version sounds like the smart way to go. I appreciate all your input.