Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning. *I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Networking or Vista category. *As is so often the case with idiosyncratic system behavior, I suspect that Vista may be at the root of the problem, so it seems appropriate to place it here.

I have an HP Pavilion pc, with Vista Home Premium, version 6.

I experienced a loss of internet connectivity a few days ago.* An ISP tech connected me to a new v LAN, which required a new IP address. *

I entered the new info (IP address and Default gateway) in the Local Area Connection "Properties" window, but still could not connect.* I looked at the Local Area Connection "Details" window, and saw that it displayed the old IP address info.* I went back into the "Properties" window, and saw that the Default gateway fields were blank. *

After some trial and error, I established an odd work-around, but it is effective only until I log off or reboot.* I was able to get connected by re-entering the new Default gateway in the "Properties" window, then going to the "Advanced TCP/IP Settings" window, removing the new IP address from the list.* This left the old IP address as the only address in the list.* I then re-added the new IP address, which put it second on the address list (under the old address).* In the "Details" window, the IP address and Default gateway info was then correct. * I saved these changes, and was able to connect to the Internet.

Again, the aforementioned settings changes will be lost upon log-off or shut-down. Once logged back in, the Local Area Connection info reflects the old IP address info again.

The only other clue I observed was that on the first day that I tried the new IP address, an installation progress window appeared a couple of times, indicating that an attempt to install an *"Unidentified" item was being made.* Later, a failure message appeared indicating that driver(s) for the Microsoft 6to4 Adapter had failed to install.

I went to the Device Manager, clicked on the referenced Adapter, and the "Properties" window indicated that the device was not working properly.* I uninstalled that adapter, and then installed another (I found Microsoft 6to4 Adapter in the"Add legacy hardware" list.) The "Properties" window for the new adapter indicates that it is working properly.

This did not fix the problem.* I think that the adapter I installed may be an older version than the one I removed - the newly-installed one has a Driver Date of 6/21/2006.* The one I removed may have come from an Update. *(I checked the available Windows Updates, but there was none for an adapter.)

Could the problem with IP address info be related to this Microsoft 6to4 Adapter?* If so, could/should I get a more recent version?* Can this be downloaded from somewhere?

If the adapter is not the culprit, what else might be?

Thank you for any input.

KO

Thanks
    A Google search of Microsoft 6to4 Adapter reveals many sites with info including sites to download drivers for same.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I did poke around on Google. The most common problem I saw associated with this adapter was a yellow flag marker in the Device Manager indicating that the device was not working properly. Apparently, this can be ignored, in some cases, at least. I have not seen any reference to the behavior my pc is exhibiting with the Local Area Connection, though I do know that the 6to4 adapter is involved in the IP address information processing by the OS.

I wanted to first determone a definite, or at lrast likely connection between the adapter and the issue before replacing the adapter currently running on my pc. I also would like to determine which incarnation of the 6to4 adapter is appropriate for Vista currently.

Thank you.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I find it odd that you have to manually set an IP address to connect to your ISP - this is normally done with DHCP.
    Do you have a mobile wireless connection?
    What is the ISP?

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Internet service through Cavalier Telephone. I don't have wireless, or a mobile device. When you first sign up, they send you a modem, and you enter the IP address info in the Local Area Connection.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How does the modem connect to your PC? USB, ethernet?

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe that would be ethernet - yellow cable, multi-pin clip ends similar to a phone cord. Modem goes directly into the back of the pc - no router, etc.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That set up makes the modem the router. The modem/router will connect to the ISP and then it should provide your PCs an IP address via DHCP - this requires your PC network to be set to automatically obtain an address..
    What is the model or modem/router?

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks to be Paradyne ReachDSL.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Is it a 6381 as shown here?
    Can you see it on this page?
    Can you connect to the modem to configure it via your browser?

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    None of the above. I found Model No. 6350-A4-200 on the bottom of the umit.

I don;t know about accessing it through the browswer,

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    According to the manual for the 6350-A2 you can connect up to 32 PCs. To do this the modem must function as a router and have it's own IP address.
    Try entering the default gateway address in your browser and see if it will talk to the modem?

BTW, what IP address were you given by the ISP tech?

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was not able to access the modem using the Default gateway. I got a "did not match any web results" page.

The adress is 66.173.218.3.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It seems your modem is very old technology and it uses pass through from your PC. This requires you to set the network address on the network card connected to the router. You should not require any drivers for this to work.

Check the IP settings of the network adapter connected to the modem and make sure it is not set to DHCP.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Network Coonection Details window indicates that DHCP is not enabled. I went to the Device Manager, and looked at the Properties of each adapter on the "Network Adapters" section. I did not see an option to enable DHCP on any of them. I also could not find an option to enable DHCP anywhere iin the Local Area Connection.

The only other clue I can provide at the moment is that when I attempt to open the Local Area Connection (I have a shortcut on my Desktop), I have to right click the icon, and then click "Enable" before I can open the file. So it seems to become disabled upon OS shut-down, and requires manual enabling. If or how that may be related to the IP address issues, I don't know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast