Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    What the world needs is a convenient bit of extended text along the lines of Lorem Ipsum but as a show-off piece for typographic extras. For our purposes it should be in the language we intend to write in, since different languages have different problematic character-pairs and such things. Does anyone know of such a thing for English, or care to write one for all of us to share?

Thanks
    Best I can give you is four words to show up the inadequacies of Arial's spacing between 'r' and 'n', and 'i' and 'l':

millennium
    smiling
    marmalade
    adornment

What was wrong with Lorem ipsum anyway? Cicero was quite a good chap...
    :
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    :
    I was looking for something that might use (or not use, according to your settings) available ligatures, swash characters, and so forth in a single document that is dense in opportunities to use them, and that might be geared specifically to the new capabilities in Word 2010. (I like the version of Lorem that someone has slipped 'und lookum like Greek to me' in the middle of.)

You might enjoy This Link and others from it.

Thanks
    Yes, thanks - interesting link!

I won't say that I thought a ligature was something to tie round an enemy's neck, to strangle them!

The original purpose of Lorem was, of course, as a place-holder or a space-filler, and thus not really quite what you're after...
    BATcher

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Nonsense. The original purpose was Cicero's. To the extent that he was filling space depends entirely on how boring or otherwise his contemporaries found him to be, but if what he said has stuck around for this long it must have had some memorable quality. Printing was a long time in coming after Cicero.

Typographically, Lorem Ipsum is a standard text that lets you judge the so-called 'colour' of the text, and it is boring enough to those of us who only studied Latin for a year that our eyes glaze over (as they certainly must after the garotte) and we have a sense of the text as a whole rather than be swayed by the content. (Did you notice that a certain Microsoft logo is a ligature? And was it before or after viewing those pages? I confess I didn't get it before the fact.)

Lorem Ipsum is too boring to pick up the differences among fonts (and their quirks) or to show off their strengths and weaknesses. Start serif text with an upper-case W to narrow the field in a hurry, get in a lower case 'e' and 'g' , and so on. Individual showoff pieces are made up to show off individual fonts, such as one with a lot of alternates, but I'd like to have text that is loaded with openings for the application of options (and the ability to appreciate them). In other words, Does it make a difference?, and Is it for better or for worse? Above all, which fonts are both practical and offer a maximum number of optional features?

In some spare moment we might see if we can come up with something, or more likely, find it online.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    This link might help if you aren't aware of what is new and available in Office 2010. Interestingly enough, I realized on reviewing it that Word and Publisher 2010 themselves contain much or most of what I want.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    Nonsense. The original purpose was Cicero's.
    Err, yes - he wrote (almost all of) it! But its later use was as a place-holder or space-filler...
    BATcher

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Another possibly-handy tool I forgot is the Character Map in System Tools in (Windows) accessories to view the character set for a given (active) font.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You may also find http://www.lorem-ipsum.info/generator3 of interest.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Best I can give you is four words to show up the inadequacies of Arial's spacing between 'r' and 'n', and 'i' and 'l':

millennium
    smiling
    marmalade
    adornment

:
    Those words look absolutely fine to me in Word 2010 using Arial. What is supposed to be wrong with the spacing?

I've attached a screenshot of those words in 18 pt Arial, no kerning or anything at 240% Zoom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    ... along the lines of Lorem Ipsum but as a show-off piece for typographic extras.
    Lorem Ipsum in publishing is used primarily as filler when creating layouts, exactly the reason I use it when developing Web sites.

But the typographic extras idea is not bad. You seem to know what you want - how about you create it?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Fastie View Post
    You seem to know what you want - how about you create it?
    That is what I meant when I said 'in some spare moment we might come up with something, with the 'we' implying that others might join in.

To this point my thoughts have led me to thinking of so-called 'Pro' fonts, which we don't get to any degree with Windows or Office, and while I could concoct something from any number of Adobe fonts, readers would have to buy the font to put it to use. (It's also a lot easier with an Apple, and we can all roll our eyes at that.) Many fonts have their own symbols, but I haven't found all that many in the Windows collection which forces you to insert dingbats, which are different fonts. Surely there must be some there in those gigantic OpenType fonts, and I recall seeing charts with character numbers but not for windows. At present I'm going in circles so WE might see if we can come up with something.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Two other online generators that I've saved links to:

http://www.blindtextgenerator.com/lorem-ipsum (my fav)

http://www.lipsum.com/ (many languages)

Hope it helps,

Andrew

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
    Two other online generators that I've saved links to:

http://www.blindtext...com/lorem-ipsum (my fav)

http://www.lipsum.com/ (many languages)

Hope it helps,

Andrew
    If you like those you'll loveGreeking Machine with its delightful collection of languages.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Fun?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast