New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have three home PCs, do I have to purchase a copy of MS Office for each PC?
    Does it make a difference which version of MS Office I have (currently own MS Office 2003)?

Thanks,
    Al
    Regards,
    AhhA

Thanks
    Greetings Alan. A very similar reply is applicable here as to your similar question regarding Windows 7:

It will depend on the content of the End User License Agreement (EULA) supplied with your version. This varies from one version to another. For example, the "Home and Student Edition" allows more installations than the "Home Edition", etc.

I am unfortunately not sitting at a PC loaded with Office 2007 or 2010 at present, so I can't give you "click by click" advice to find your EULA, but in any office 2003 product (eg MS Word), you would click on "help", "about" and then click on "view the end licence agreement". I think it's the same procedure in office 2007 or 2010.

If you have not yet installed Office for the first time, you will be given the opportunity to read and accept the EULA as part of the first installation steps. READ IT!! (You will be amazed how many do not!)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    Check this page from MS with licensing listings for each edition. You will have to find the link to the edition you purchased for installation rules.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link.

I followed the links and reviewed the EULA for my answer (standard purchase can only be installed on one machine):
    2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
    a. One Copy per Device. You may install one copy of the software on one
    device. That device is the “licensed device.”
    b. Licensed Device. You may only use one copy of the software on the
    licensed device at a time.
    c. Portable Device. You may install another copy of the software on a
    portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.
    d. Separation of Components. The components of the software are licensed
    as a single unit. You may not separate the components and install them on
    different devices.
    e. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version,
    such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at a
    time.

Regards,
    AhhA

Thanks
    @Alan: You are correct. I recently telephoned Microsoft Support, and was advised that one can temporarily install an UN-ACTIVATED second version of your product for test purposes (as I have done), For example, you can install and activate your 32-bit Office and then install the 64-bit version in a virtual machine or in a different partition on your PC for evaluation purposes, but you can not activate this second version.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hausmann View Post
    I have three home PCs, do I have to purchase a copy of MS Office for each PC?
    Does it make a difference which version of MS Office I have (currently own MS Office 2003)?

Thanks,
    Al
    Usually 3 installs! Even if you reinstall a previous version, that counts as an install. Microsoft has become a reall stinker about this which is why I am now running OpenOffice 3.2 in spite of the fact I much prefer the Microsoft Office 2007 interface, (once I got used to it...what a shock at first!). Microsoft is shooting itself in the foot being so greedy for licensing! They fail to realize that they have competition from a freeware office suite that keeps getting better with each version released!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Morse III View Post
    Usually 3 installs! Even if you reinstall a previous version, that counts as an install. Microsoft has become a reall stinker about this which is why I am now running OpenOffice 3.2 in spite of the fact I much prefer the Microsoft Office 2007 interface, (once I got used to it...what a shock at first!). Microsoft is shooting itself in the foot being so greedy for licensing! They fail to realize that they have competition from a freeware office suite that keeps getting better with each version released!
    This is not always correct. It would depend on the version of Office 2010 you have how many PCes it can be installed on. The link I provided above explains all this. If you reinstall on a PC it was already installed on, a simple call to MS will suffice to re-activate the app. I had to do this a couple of times with 2007 when I updated our PCes to Win 7. A 5 minute phone call solved the problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Morse III View Post
    Usually 3 installs! Even if you reinstall a previous version, that counts as an install.
    Let's distinguish between the number of devices permitted by the license, and the number of activations permitted by the copy protection technology. Activation problems often can be solved with a phone call to Microsoft support; support cannot make an exception to the license restrictions.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Alan Hausmann' ]
    c. Portable Device. You may install another copy of the software on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.
    [/quote]

1; What is a portable device? An HP Entertainment series HDX9250 weigths 7.05 kg (13.5lbs). It's officially (HP) a laptop, but does it really qualify as a portable device?
    2. If my first licence is already installed on a portable, can i still install another one on another portable?

I guess that the answer to both questions is YES, YOU CAN.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rvWoody View Post
    1; What is a portable device? An HP Entertainment series HDX9250 weigths 7.05 kg (13.5lbs). It's officially (HP) a laptop, but does it really qualify as a portable device?
    2. If my first licence is already installed on a portable, can i still install another one on another portable?

I guess that the answer to both questions is YES, YOU CAN.
    1. A portable is a Laptop or Netbook regardless of weight.

2. No. (With exception of Home and Student version), you are licensed to install one copy on a Desktop and a second copy onto a portable. Only one may be used at any time. So, for example, you can use it whilst out and about with your laptop but in the mean time no one may use it on your desktop. So if you work in a shared environment, (someone uses your desktop whilst you are away with your laptop) you need 2 separate licenses.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rvWoody View Post
    The retail license (and not the OEM or Key Card license) appears to permit that. Download details: MSLT for Microsoft Office 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Farrell View Post
    2. No. (With exception of Home and Student version), you are licensed to install one copy on a Desktop and a second copy onto a portable.
    The retail EULA (for Office 2010, I didn't look at earlier versions) does not restrict the installation on a portable device to those whose "licensed device" is a desktop PC. Surely that was their thinking in the early days (desktop+portable), but that's not what the above license says.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Farrell View Post
    Only one may be used at any time. So, for example, you can use it whilst out and about with your laptop but in the mean time no one may use it on your desktop. So if you work in a shared environment, (someone uses your desktop whilst you are away with your laptop) you need 2 separate licenses.
    That certainly is clear.