New Lounger
    Thanks
    SP3 installed with latest patches. During the Restart sequence, when the system shuts down (black screen), the sequence stalls with the drive activity light showing steady. Manual shutdown is necessary using the power button. Startup is erratic requiring removal of some or all of the USB csbles, then reinserting each cable till the system boots up. I have not been able to isolate which USB device or port is causing the problem. The computer is run 24/7 so I dont know when the problem began.

Harry

Thanks
    Hi Harry, and welcome to the Lounge!

What are your system hardware specs? Have any software or hardware changes been made just prior to the problem arising?

Check the Event Viewer Windows Logs - Application Log and System Log. Are there any red critical error icons marking an event the coincides with a hangup or problem startup? If so, write down the Event ID and any other info listed.

Also check the minidump.dmp file for clues as to the cause(s). Check this MS Knowledge Base article on the minidump file.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Gerald. This is my wife's computer which I don't mess with very often. I'll get the info requested asap and post asap.

Harry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi Harry, and welcome to the Lounge!

What are your system hardware specs? Have any software or hardware changes been made just prior to the problem arising?

See atch Gateway

Check the Event Viewer Windows Logs - Application Log and System Log. Are there any red critical error icons marking an event the coincides with a hangup or problem startup? If so, write down the Event ID and any other info listed.

Nothing remotely connected with the problem

Also check the minidump.dmp file for clues as to the cause(s). Check this MS Knowledge Base article on the minidump file.
    There is a minidump file which I tried to check but the command line screen closes immediately, so I can't read it. Tried just about all the options but the window won't stay open. Tried attaching the file but upload is not permitted

Harry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Runge View Post
    There is a minidump file which I tried to check but the command line screen closes immediately, so I can't read it. Tried just about all the options but the window won't stay open. Tried attaching the file but upload is not permitted

Harry
    I do not believe the command prompt screen can help you view the minidump files.

Check this Nirsoft Utility link for a Bluescreen tool to reveal the contents of the minidump files. I have not minidump files on my system at this time, and have not tested Bluescreen View. Bluescreen View should enable you to save the contents of the minidump so you can upload the file in this thread.

If you have any administrator rights difficulties, right click the Bluescreen View executable file and select Run as administrator.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    I do not believe the command prompt screen can help you view the minidump files.

Check this Nirsoft Utility link for a Bluescreen tool to reveal the contents of the minidump files. I have not minidump files on my system at this time, and have not tested Bluescreen View. Bluescreen View should enable you to save the contents of the minidump so you can upload the file in this thread.

If you have any administrator rights difficulties, right click the Bluescreen View executable file and select Run as administrator.
    I tried the BSV as suggested but could not get any output, changing the paths in the Options as necessary to locate the Dumpchk.exe and the Minidump file. However, I was successful using Start/Run/cmd and then the Dumpchk.exe. See atchmnts A & B for the output.

Harry

[attachment=89568:Mini011709-01.dmp.A.jpg]

[attachment=89569:Mini011709-01.dmp.B.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald,

Note the date/time of minidump file. It's ancient. To repeat, the restart problem appears to be tied the USB ports and/or devices. Also there are numerous MB patches due in this week, requiring Restart no doubt. I'll see if I can isolate the cause more precisely. Unless you have more suggestions in the interim.

Harry

Thanks
    Harry, that dump seems to be an moldy oldy. Bring up System on the Control Panel and click on the Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery Settings button. Under Write debugging information, click the drop down arrow and be sure the small minidump 64k is selected. Next be sure the Dump file: location is set as %SystemRoot%\Minidump . This will cause the minidump to be written to C:\Windows\Minidump .

Bluescreen View should show you the contents of the minidump in a format that is easier to understand. Just point BSV to the proper path, and it should pick it up.

Also, while you are on the System Advanced Startup and Recovery options page, uncheck the box beside Automatically restart under System failure. This will prevent XP from rebooting immediately when the BSOD occurs, and will enable you to write down any error codes and possible driver info, which may also help focus in on the cause of the BSOD.
    Deadeye81

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, Gerald. Will do. May not be able to get to it for a day or so. Will be back soonest.

Harry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald,

I cleaned out the Registry using JV 16 Power Tools 2010 (been using this for years). Today I installed 11 patches. Then installed BSV and ran it. It worked properly showing the old minidump file output. Then rebooted. The Restart behaved normally; did this three times. Don't know if cleaning the Registry did the trick or not; there was a pile of errors and keys removed. In any event, all's back to normal. Thanks for your assist.

Harry

Thanks
    Hi Harry,

Most likely there was a corrupt key(s) that caused the restarts. If the symptoms return, just check the minidump file with BSV again. Any likely drivers it suspects caused the problem will be listed in the upper pane. My wife had some serious instability on her XP SP3 since we last communicated, so I ran BSV and it listed just one software driver that was placed on her HD by a program named Keyscrambler that I installed on her machine two years ago. Evidently, the driver became corrupt, and caused her several blue screens. I uninstalled Keyscrambler and everything became stable again.

Thanks for posting your success. Sometimes registry cleaners can be very useful.
    Deadeye81

Thanks
    Basically, that problem goes all the way back to Windows 98 days. It's especially bad when some program wants to reboot your PC. If you can catch it in time and just Power Off your PC, so when you restart it, you're doing a COLD start it will normally come up OK.
    I have a Ghost boot disk that won't come up right unless I boot to it from a COLD Start.

There's a lot to be said, for letting your PC shut down completely, with all lights and PSU OFF, before rebooting.
    That completely flushes the RAM, which a Reboot doesn't do.
    That's my own fix, for a very old problem. Some brands of PC were worse than others.

Good Luck to ya!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!