Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Windows Vista Home Basic Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000. I don't have any of the service packs installed. My computer tried to do automatic updates and get the Service Pack 1, but something went wrong and I could never figure out how to get the download, so I didn't. I've been getting along just fine without it but am wondering if I should pursue it and get my Vista updated. What do you think? I don't even know what it does or what I'm missing without it. Is this something I should worry about? Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    You can no longer receive security updates without having a service pack installed.

Be sure to pick the downloads which correspond to the "bitness" of your version. If you are not sure if you are running 32-bit or 64-bit Vista right click on Computer and select "Properties". See "System Type".

NOTE: Backup your system before you start the installation process.

First, verify that you have the most recent version of Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2.

Download Download details: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330) and Download details: Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone (KB948465) for 32-bit Vista or Download details: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone for x64-based Systems (KB936330) and Download details: Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone for x64-based systems (KB948465) for 64-bit Vista.

Install SP-1 then SP-2.

Run Windows Update after the install of SP-2 until no more updates are offered.

NOTE: Backup your system before you start the installation process.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As Joe said, you miss out on security updates and patches and SP2 Vista is a pretty decent performing OS in my opinion, but I have to admire your fortitude or blissfull contentment or whatever it is that allows you to get along with pre-SP Vista....for me it was a soul-crushing experience!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the instructions to get the service packs for my Vista and am glad you included the System Update Readiness Tool. The links made it easy. I was able to update smoothly and my laptop is now running great. I appreciate the postings from both Joe and Byron. It was way past time to get my head out of the sand and get this done! Blissfulness should only be a temporary state :-)