New Lounger
    Thanks
    After killing off a minor Virus nuisance; I noticed some system functions like Event Viewer and MMC were not working properly and died with errors. After researching through Windows 7 forums and such the only official answer for restoration was SFC /scannow or using system restore to got back to a better time. Since I couldn't be sure of the proper restore point I decided to give SFC a chance. Well I did elevate a CMD promt to admin and started to run SFC /scannow. I took about 10 minutes to run what it called verification:
    Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 26% complete.
    till it then completed verification. Then continued without updating the CMD screen till it ended with:
    C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow
    Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
    Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
    C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

The maximum number of files have been repaired. To repair the remaining corrupted
    files run sfc again.

OK so I just hit the up arrow key and put the command in again. same results exactly Di it again. you get the idea now I didn't count how many times I did it but it had to be at least ten (10). So I created a little script with 20 SFC /scannow and kicked it off ; still the same. So I did some research and could not find a way to increase the "maximum" files in the SFC end message. I checked each CBS log and noticed that the same files would error over and over.
    2010-08-01 13:13:50, Info CSI 0000000b Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_1394.inf_31bf3856ad364e35 _6.1.7600.16385_none_572448461f98f8b9\1394ohci.sys do not match actual file [l:24{12}]"1394ohci.sys" :
    Found: {l:32 b:7vx/jVsSrFzkxojky+qpWRqmgQPE3bbcbDVFu2INUpY=} Expected: {l:32 b:00UBTPFG+leyaCwYnV5/J9THjzIfJyPZEtYj53fCu3A=}
    2010-08-01 13:13:50, Info CSI 0000000c [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"1394ohci.sys" of 1394.inf, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

Well this then limits the number files it's going to "fix" since this group of files it can't fix grows I am guessing till SFC /scannow doesn't fix anything.

Right now my system is ok; I think. but not because of SFC /scannow but I used system restore.

So has anyone else noticed this little Windows 7 problem? SFC has been around since Windows XP but I have never tried it till Windows 7 since they don't have "repair" since Windows XP.

I'd have sent this to Microsoft but I have done similar things and they just pass it off with " have you tried System restore? "

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh I forgot to mention that after running; had to be 100 SFC /scannow my screen went into a "blue screen of death". That's when I used System Restore and got my system back. " noticed that the offending DLL was a 32bit Dll not a 64bit. So SFC /scannow seems to corrupt a 64bit machine with 32bit replacements.

Thanks
    It's possible that the DLL Cache has been corrupted as well and therefor SFC will not be effective in replacing the specific files.
    For performing offline scans, System File Checker must be run from another working installation of Windows Vista or a later operating system or from the Windows setup DVD which gives access to the Windows Recovery Environment.
    A pre infection system restore point in this circumstance may prove to be more effective, that is if one is available and known to be good.

Your best bet, albeit for future problems, would be a sector by sector hard drive image type of backup.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I agree whole heartedly with Clint about creating an Image to restore with next time. For this time a Repair Installation may solve the problem. Check Windows Seven forum for details.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy