2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I create a template in Word 2007 that, at this point, contains no macros, can I save it as a .dotm file?

I tried doing that and when I checked the Developer Tab to see what template the Word file was attached to it said NORMAL.dotm not the named .dotm file. I can see the named .dotm file in my Trusted Location folder using Explorer, but cannot see in the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box to attach it. When I save the named template as a .dotx file I can see it in Explorer and I can see & attach it from the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box.

What happens if I want to add macros to the .dotx template? Does it save itself as a .dotm?

Thanks in advance for unraveling the mysteries of Word 2007,
    gg

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    gg,

You can definitely create a template containing no macros in Word 2007, and save it as a .dotm file. Saving it as a .dotm file will permit you to add macros to it later.

You can add macros to a .dotx template, but when you try to save it, you'll get a message box saying that you can't save the VBA project in a macro-free document. If you click No on the message box, you can return to the Save As dialog and change the file type to a .dotm.

As far as seeing the template name on the Developer tab, it's not clear: are you trying that while you have the template itself open, or a document based on the template open? If you have the template open, and click on Document Template in the Developer tab, you won't see anything (which is the way it should be).
    But if you create a document based on the .dotm template and then go to the Developer tab, you should be able to see the name of the .dotm template there - the fact that there aren't any macros associated with the .dotm template shouldn't make any difference - so I'm not sure what is causing what you're observing. How are you creating the new document? - are you sure it's being created based on the .dotm template?

Gary