3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One of our XP PC's was just replaced by a Win 7 machine. The connectoid icon, i.e., the icon that sits in SysTray for each network connection, is not as informative as the old style connectoids. They looked like 2 overlapping screens. If data was coming in, the upper screen would light up, and if data was being sent to the network by the computer then the lower screen would light up. In my Win 7 PC, there is only one "enriched rectangle", which never shows anything (though through it you can get to status, including bytes in and bytes out). Does anyone know of a good, easy way to have something in SysTray that indicates data streaming in or out?
    Edits:
    A) I notice someplace that a connectoid is defined as "A predefined dial-up connection in Windows". I mean the same thing regardless of whether a network connection is dialup or not.
    B)I also forgot that it won't show up in SysTray (AKA Notification Area) unless it's set that way, which can be done as follows. One goes to the "Network Connections" panel (The long but sure way is by going to Control Panel first),
    right clicking on the icon for the relevant connection, then Properties, and then check the box that has "Show icon in notification area when connected".

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks, Joe! Installed it. VEry nice.
    EDIT: I discovered later that the Network Activity Indicator (NAI 1.5, June 2010), if set to load at startup, prevents the VIPRE icon from appearing in the notification area. Sunbelt's VIPRE Premium is my antimalware program, so this is serious for me. (My solution: I start NAI manually if needed. I hope NAI or VIPRE eventually solve this.)
    EDIT: Eventually I started using WinPatrol (could use StartDelay) with a 20 second delay for NAI.