Thanks
    Is there a way to link data in a Word doc to an Excel spreadsheet?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzman View Post
    Is there a way to link data in a Word doc to an Excel spreadsheet?
    Hmmm, what exactly do you want to do?

You can link to or embed (a portion of) an Excel worksheet in a Word document, but I don't know whether you can pass data from Word to Excel to influence the sheet itself (without writing VBA code -- using code, you could interact in many ways with Excel).

Thanks
    Thanks - I'm going to work on it.

5. Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It definitely is more common to take data that's in Excel and use it in Word, than the other way round. What's the overview of what you're trying to do?

A couple of other things you could take a look at:

If you need to get all of the text from a Word document into an Excel worksheet, you could save the Word document as a .txt file, and then from Excel, import the data from the text file.

If you need to get only specific text from a Word document into an Excel worksheet, you could put the specific text into a table or tables in the Word document, and then save the Word document as an .html file. Then in Excel, import the data from the html file (exact steps for doing that would vary, depending on which version of Office you're using). This method would allow you select which data you import into Excel.

Gary

Thanks
    I'm using Office 2007. The Word doc is a checklist that ensures that all of the tasks have been completed for a specific integration for clients. It's about a 13-pager. I've used drop-down lists, checkboxes, and combo boxes to make it easier for the doc users to make selections. I only want to export the results. I appreciate your help. I'll try the method you mentioned.

7. Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you're working with formfields in a protected form, there is another way to export the results. I don't have access to Word 2007 at the moment so can't check there, but in earlier versions, you could go to Tools > Options > Save tab, and put a checkmark next to "Save data only for forms". With that checked, each time you save the form document, it will prompt you to save it as a delimited text file - only the data entered into the formfields get saved. You can then import the delimited text file into an Excel workbook.

I'll try to check in Word 2007 sometime this weekend, whether there's still a way to do this in Word 2007 - I would expect that this feature would have been partly or fully deprecated, since the 'legacy tools' formfields have been de-emphasized, in favor of the newer content controls.

Gary

8. Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The option to save formfield data as text exists in Word 2007 as well - to get to this setting, click on the Office button > Word Options > Advanced > under the 'Preserve fidelity when sharing this document' heading, check the box next to 'Save form data as delimited text file".

Gary