Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a SMC Barricade wireless router that works fine except that whatever security I set up in the router (WEP, WPA, WPA2) does not "take". That is, when I search for available networks with my laptop, I see the SMC router as UNsecured and can connect without a password or passphrase. I have tried rebooting the router after security setup and even completely reset the router and started from scratch. The model number is SMCWBR14-G2 and my computer uses XP.
    Thanks for any help with this problem
    Ken Gash

Thanks
    Hi Ken, and welcome to the Lounge!

Has your router ever retained the settings you put into place?

Once you set the parameters, did you save the settings?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi Ken, and welcome to the Lounge!

Has your router ever retained the settings you put into place?

Once you set the parameters, did you save the settings?
    The settings for both WEP and WPA are clearly saved in the router. Everything seems to be properly saved, including the Open DNS IP addresses I substituted for my ISP's.
    It's just that it appears on the network as unsecured.

Thanks
    I've never heard of a problem like this one. Maybe your router is malfunctioning in the security arena. I think I would replace it with another from a store like Best Buy. They have a fourteen day return policy if the new router does not work out. Or maybe you have a friend that has an old router that was replaced, but still works, and can give that a go.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem solved!
    Thanks for all your help. I downloaded the latest firmware, installed it then reset the router to factory specs then reinstalled it and the problem no longer exists
    I resurrected this router for an office I volunteer in and I should have done all of this rather than just hooking it up and trying to use it.
    Thanks again.
    Ken Gash

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Gash View Post
    Problem solved!
    Thanks for all your help. I downloaded the latest firmware, installed it then reset the router to factory specs then reinstalled it and the problem no longer exists
    I resurrected this router for an office I volunteer in and I should have done all of this rather than just hooking it up and trying to use it.
    Thanks again.
    Ken Gash
    OK, the flaky behavior of the router makes more sense now. I got to ask. What Windows operating systems were used in the office network in which this router functioned? And was the network a workgroup network or a domain?

Glad you figured it out and got it working. Thanks for posting your solution.
    Deadeye81

Lounger
    Thanks
    The office where the router has been installed has 2 rather old PCs, one Dell and one eMachine, both running XP Home with a workgroup network. The client machine has a USB wireless adapter.