New Lounger
    Thanks
    Because of corrupted files, I recently had to do a reinstall of Windows 7-64 bit Home Premium edition. All went well and I then began the long process of reinstalling programs and data. Among these tasks was the installation of 36 win7 updates.

No problem with the download, but configuration which occurs on reboot hung up at 15% completion, requiring safe mode to restore system to a point previous to the download. I finally isolated the problem to 2 updates: KB982381 and KB982632, the installation of either would cause the computer to hang at 15% configuration.

Has anyone had the same problem, and if so, is there a workaround? My default OS is Firefox so there is no panic with this, but my ESET antivirus program keeps complaining that my Windows OS is missing a couple of updates.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by doug schneider View Post
    Because of corrupted files, I recently had to do a reinstall of Windows 7-64 bit Home Premium edition. All went well and I then began the long process of reinstalling programs and data. Among these tasks was the installation of 36 win7 updates.

No problem with the download, but configuration which occurs on reboot hung up at 15% completion, requiring safe mode to restore system to a point previous to the download. I finally isolated the problem to 2 updates: KB982381 and KB982632, the installation of either would cause the computer to hang at 15% configuration.

Has anyone had the same problem, and if so, is there a workaround? My default OS is Firefox so there is no panic with this, but my ESET antivirus program keeps complaining that my Windows OS is missing a couple of updates.

Did you disable the AV when doing the update? AV apps chronically cause unexpected problems during these installations. I would try this first.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thank you Ted. That worked.

doug

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, might I quote you thus :

Did you disable the AV when doing the update? AV apps chronically cause unexpected problems during these installations. I would try this first.

I never did disable MS SE, do you think that it is impervious to this need ? Being from MS, I would expect those brains to have coded this properly !

Thanks
    AV/AM apps do not always cause problems, but they have been known to cause problems. I also use MSE and never stopped it in the past with no ill effects, but lately have been getting in the habit of doing so because of other posts I have read, including this one, where the AV app have blocked an upgrade.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morn, Ted.

I have decided years ago, that my Modus Operandi would be to accept all updates as given. You wrote : where the AV app have blocked an upgrade.

In the same light, I have never disabled any AV/AM app and, so far, touching forefront, I have never gotten bitten. I see that this is not a rule here, what am I doing wrong ?

What if any one particular update was a freak and carried a virus ??? JP.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Parrot View Post
    Good morn, Ted.

I have decided years ago, that my Modus Operandi would be to accept all updates as given. You wrote : where the AV app have blocked an upgrade.

In the same light, I have never disabled any AV/AM app and, so far, touching forefront, I have never gotten bitten. I see that this is not a rule here, what am I doing wrong ?

What if any one particular update was a freak and carried a virus ??? JP.

You can always download the upgrade without installing, scan it with your AV, than disengage from the internet, diasable the AV, install the update, then reverse the action. Generally I do not do this with MS updates, but do this with all new apps I am planning on trying. Quite often when installs do not work, it seems that a reinstall with the AV disabled solves the problem. It may be the particular AV app you are using, who knows. It's just an extra step I take to ensure success. Perhaps I'm being too paranoid, but things have gotten so much worse recently that the extra precautions are worth it in my opinion.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted