Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello.

I have a program set up somehow that asks me regularly if I want my Outlook 2003 email files backed up and I choose yes. I have never deleted an email in anger but Thursday, I deleted years worth of emails from one person; it was the day of my son's rehearsal dinner with his wedding the next day and tensions were running high. Sure enough, since then the backup program has asked me to allow it to run and I have done so.

I could really use the last month or so of the emails I so angrily deleted is there any chance I can get them back or did I teach myself another valuable lesson?

Thank you for your time and assistance. (I won't delete any replies, promise!)

Citsme
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Ghandi

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I'm afraid that unless you have a system backup you have learned a valuable lesson.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    I'm afraid that unless you have a system backup you have learned a valuable lesson.

Joe
    Joe,
    Thank you for your reply. Although I am not happy about it, I am not surprised. Just so I understand for the future: whenever the screen comes up asking me for permission to back up Outlook 2003 and I give it that permission, previous back ups prior to that one are gone and just that final one remains, correct?
    Thanks, again!
    cs. (aka Duh!)
    Mahatma Ghandi

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you are using Download details: Outlook 2007/2003/2002 Add-in: Personal Folders Backup as I think it only keeps one backup. So, every time it runs it overwrites the current file.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Citsme View Post
    I could really use the last month or so of the emails I so angrily deleted is there any chance I can get them back or did I teach myself another valuable lesson?
    Do you allow Outlook to empty the Deleted Items folder automatically when you close the program? I've never liked that setting, since we all make mistakes from time to time.

If your POP mail settings leave mail on the server for some period of time, you might be able to view/print those messages using a webmail program associated with your mail account. Check ASAP.

If it's an Exchange or IMAP account (other than GMail, which makes it hard to actually delete anything), then your deletions were sync'd to the server and the messages would be gone from there as well.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you to you both. I immediately called AT&T and there were not any copies on the server and the online version of my same email account did not have the full information I store in Outlook.

In Outlook, I have separate files for important people and those files do not show up in the online version of the email account. To avoid this from happening in the future (all these years and I never deleted anything in anger ) when I get this computer cleaned up I am going to make some changes such as putting a solid back up plan for the entire computer in place. Maybe emails should no longer be deleted automatically at the close of the Outlook session either.

Thanks to you both; I appreciate your help!

cs.
    Mahatma Ghandi