New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can add/import blocked/safe senders. Once I close and then reopen Outlook, these added/imported senders are lost.
    Where does Outlook actually save these lists - registry, PST file, or other?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Blaine View Post
    I can add/import blocked/safe senders. Once I close and then reopen Outlook, these added/imported senders are lost.
    I dont know the answer and it will be hard for me to test any findings as I have Outlook 2010. I Googled outlook 2003 blocked senders list file location and this hit looks interesting. You should look through some of the other hits too. This one looks pretty good click me!. It presumes XP I think. What windoze do you have? This one tells you all click me! and I quote from it about the locations of your lists Stored in message store as a hidden message. This guy seems to know what he is talking about.
    Bob
    Win 8.1 Pro - IE11, Office Pro 2013, Acronis TIH 2014
    Win 10 Pro preview 10162

Thanks
    As noted above, the lists are supposed to be stored in a hidden message in the PST file itself.

If you are adding a lot of addresses, consider using the Export to file feature on the Blocked Senders tab before closing Outlook to save your entries for future importing.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies - the links were right-on; in spite of all the research I have done, I was not able to answer my question previously.

My situation is much worse than I indicated as several other Outlook 2003 functions (signatures, data managment, pst file creation, etc.) fail or crash Outlook.
    It is amazing that I am able to use the program but it does work for most routing tasks.

I believe that nothing short of an uninstall/reinstall will resolve the registry problems (which I believe is the root of my problems).

Now If I can fugure out how to save macros, settings, rules, etc. I could un/re-install. I do know how to point back to my current pst to get email, contacts, etc.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks
    Now If I can fugure out how to save macros, settings, rules, etc. I could un/re-install.
    To save macros, open the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11) and expand the "tree" on the left. Double-click each module to see whether there is any code there. For each module that contains code, and for each form, use File > Export to create a file you can later import into a clean installation.

Rules I think are saved in a hidden message. You also can export them (use the Options button in the rules dialog).

Settings is a pretty broad term... many probably are scattered about in the registry and hard to back up.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Re: Outlook 2003 Safe sender/recip. and blocked lists

I found out where these lists are stored within the registry but clearing them did not resolve my basic problem;
    I am still unable to get addidtion/imported email addr to stick after closing outlook.
    Looks like an uninstall/reinstall of Outlook 2003 is in order for me. I think there other registry settings which are incorrect but seem faster to reinstall!

I do want to give credit to the source of my information:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...-d75a17aba47e/

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\
    Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Profile Name\0a0d020000000000c000000000000046\001f0419

There are loads of value pairs in this key, and they are stored in UNICODE format (you'll need to convert them) to decipher or add more).
    Here are the ones you care about:

Blocked Senders list - 001f041a
    Safe senders- 001f0418
    Safe recips list - 001f0419
    ======================
    addn'l comment (Rab):

001f041c is also a list of email addr. - not sure if it is an extension of blocked senders or the international list

Each email addr in list is separated by ";" and 0000 in hex is the terminator for each list
    I deleted the above lists and replace each with a 0000 terminator.
    The lists in the registry are now empty.
    Adding/importing via Outlook to any luist still does not stick - manual, auto or import. The registry lists remain empty.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Richard, you may be having "Permission" problems of some sort. I made the assumption that using Outlook 2003 meant you were also using XP. Are you using that or something later.
    Bob
    Win 10 Pro preview 10162

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the follow up, Bob.

I am running Outlook 2003 under Vista Home Premium.
    When I first installed Outlook 2003 about 18 months ago all was well.
    I think that somehow I screwed up the premissions or registry about 12 months ago.

I have three functions that do not work but did 12 months ago:

Signatures using the built in Outlook mail editor (these are ok using word)
    Blocked/safe and other sender lists.
    Almost any attempt I make to create a new Data file (pst) crash Outlook.
    If my memory serves me, recreating permissions also causes a problem.

I have found many references to recreating permissions, the pst file, uninstalling/reinstalling Outlook. Every one adds a new wrinkle so that I am very leary of the process. However, after backing up everything, I think that un/re-install is the best bet.

Thanks again for your interest.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Created a new profile using existing pst file.
    Works fine but did not solve problem with junk sender lists not sticking.
    Well, thought it was worth trying. I am more and more convinced that the registry is screwed up!

Dick

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dick, it may be time for the ultimate fix - reinstall Windoze... Bob
    Bob
    Win 10 Pro preview 10162

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Again I want to thank everyone for the suggestions.

New Profile, un/re-install of Outlook 2003 did not help.

What solved the problem was to switch from XP SP3 compatability mode to none (I.e., vista).
    I saw another problem with Outlook/Office posted this forum solved in the same way and that is what gave me the idea to try it.

Needless to say I am a happy camper.