Thread: silly question

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    hello everyone.
    i am not a regular viewer of videos online, and because of that i apologize if the question is (rather) silly.
    i remember that i used to be able to see a youtube video (let's say 6 or 8 minutes), from beginning to end, uninterrupted.
    lately, it stops every 3 or 4 seconds to reload.
    i am using mozilla firefox, and could not see any setting that would help overcome this irritation.
    their support site (knowledge base) doesn't seem to list anything related to this kind of situation.
    is it there something i am missing?
    any help / guidance will be greatly appreciated.

daniel rozenberg

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danielr2 View Post
    hello everyone.
    i am not a regular viewer of videos online, and because of that i apologize if the question is (rather) silly.
    i remember that i used to be able to see a youtube video (let's say 6 or 8 minutes), from beginning to end, uninterrupted.
    lately, it stops every 3 or 4 seconds to reload.
    i am using mozilla firefox, and could not see any setting that would help overcome this irritation.
    their support site (knowledge base) doesn't seem to list anything related to this kind of situation.
    is it there something i am missing?
    any help / guidance will be greatly appreciated.

daniel rozenberg
    what is the speed of your broadband internet connection?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    my ISP originally promised me "up to 2 MB/s", but upon a chat questioning, and subsequent testing, i am getting 936 KB/s download and 663 KB/s upload.
    they offer "an upgrade which would cost very little more".
    i want to know if it is there any setting i should trim or change to improve the situation.

Thanks
    Call you ISP & request to have your line tested.If things seem to be ok on their end.Then request a new modem.Because the speed they so called promised you,isn't even close!I estimate from your figures that you gave.Is about HALF from what you should be getting.I understand that most high speed company's advertise one thing you will end up with nothing being close.Still you should have more than what your saying.IMO. I would like to give you a link so you can check out the speed again;Audit My Pc.
    Also your video card drivers might need to be updated.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use http://www.speedtest.net/ to test my connection speed, but this is not the same as your ISPs 2Mb.
    If your ISP offers "up to 2Mb" they are saying "we will cap your speed at 2Mb, but you can only go as fast as your ADSL router will connect". Go to the router status page and see what connection speed is reported. If it is well below 2Mb ring your ISP and ask them to perform a line test.
    My ISP offers me "up to 10Mb" and my router shows the following. (Almost exactly 10Mb.)
    DownStream Connection Speed 10236 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 604 kbps

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danielr2 View Post
    my ISP originally promised me "up to 2 MB/s", but upon a chat questioning, and subsequent testing, i am getting 936 KB/s download and 663 KB/s upload.
    they offer "an upgrade which would cost very little more".
    i want to know if it is there any setting i should trim or change to improve the situation.
    have you check for any malwares or viruses lately? are you using any firewalls? please check this and have your isp support guys check your connections tell them your not getting the service that you are paying for.

Lounger
    Thanks
    what you can do is start the video then hit the pause button allow it to fully load the video you can watch the progress bar, when it shows fully loaded then hit the play button again and you can watch it uninterrupted.
    registered Linux user:476595