Thanks
    This morning my wife's laptop would not boot, either in regular or safe mode. Have no idea why. She is very careful and quite knowlegable, but it happened. Here are the steps I took to get back to normal.

1) Inserted Acronis True Image Home 2010 Rescue Dick and my ext HD which contained the Image (Unfortunately about 6 weeks old, shame on me)
    2) Reboot. About 15 minutes later back up and running with OS that existed when Image was created,
    3) Update MSE and Windows updates. Took another few minutes.
    4) Update Revo Uninstaller to latest version. Uninstall CCleaner and download and installed latest version.
    5) Uninstall Adobe Reader (Had switched to PDF-XChange viewer a few weeks ago, remember Image was 6 weeks old, again, shame on me)
    6) Download and install PDF-XChange Viewer.
    7) Update to latest versions of Java and Firefox.
    8) Run CCleaner to get rid of all temp files then defrag entire HD.
    9) Download Partition Wizard and create a large data partition (Made OS partition "C" about 75 GB, remaining to "D" data partition.) Make "D" partition logical.
    10) Moved all data from "C" partition to "D" partition.
    11) Defrag both "C" and "D" again.
    12) Uninstall Office 2007 (Had installed Office 2010 about a month agao, remember 6 week old Image, shame on me). Reinstalled Office 2010 complete (Did not include Outlook).
    13) Defrag once again.
    14) Create 2 Images: 1- entire HD including all 3 partitions (OS, Data, and Page file partition) incase of HD failure. 2- Just "C" Drive in case I fudge up the OS while playing around.

This entire process was completed in under 2 hours!!!! How could I have possibly accomplished this any easier. This included ALL installed apps, ALL data, everything, plus made the new partition and moved things into it.

What would the estimate be for reinstalling Windows, plus all the apps, etc? This is why I am a firm believer in Images!!! I figure I saved myself several hours at least. Please Image your HDs.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    How could I have possibly accomplished this any easier.
    By using Windows Home Server. I backup the PCs automatically every day. There is much more that can be done with WHS beyond backup. See Windows Home Server media server, backup and data recovery solution for more information.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    By using Windows Home Server. I backup the PCs automatically every day. There is much more that can be done with WHS beyond backup. See Windows Home Server media server, backup and data recovery solution for more information.

Joe
    Ahh, but then that would entail purchasing more hardware and setting this up. In our home laptops, the Images, if created each week or two, would be more than sufficient for our needs. I just have to do this each couple of weeks. It only takes about 15 minutes each and I am ready for the next screwup. Today I spent more time because I did the partitioning and data movement, the Image was 6 weeks old instead of a couple of weeks. If the Image had been up to date, as it is on my laptop, I would have had it back in service in 15 or 20 minutes. The whole point was to show the definite advantage of keeping Images and keeping them up to date. It almost gets to the point in your personal computing that it's not worth the time to T/S failures the old fashioned way unless you have the time and want to find out why it happened. I just generally do not have the time. The home server solution looks very interesting for someone who needs this level of back up, but it would definitely be overkill for me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ted - After reading about what happened to your wife's laptop, I decided to try out the feature in Acronis to "Create Backup Task" - scheduling. I was impressed with the scheduling options(day, time, frequency,etc.) and other features such as number of incrementals to do before creating a new backup set, run missed backups, etc. etc. I ran a scheduled backup this afternoon and it seems to have worked great. Performed a Verify later in the day and all seems OK.

Are you an advocate of Acronis scheduled backups? It seems that with a scheduled backup, I would never have a stale backup of more than a week old. It can also be scheduled to perform Daily backups.

Congrats, in getting that laptop up and running within a minimum amount of time.

Tim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sullivan View Post
    Hello Ted - After reading about what happened to your wife's laptop, I decided to try out the feature in Acronis to "Create Backup Task" - scheduling. I was impressed with the scheduling options(day, time, frequency,etc.) and other features such as number of incrementals to do before creating a new backup set, run missed backups, etc. etc. I ran a scheduled backup this afternoon and it seems to have worked great. Performed a Verify later in the day and all seems OK.

Are you an advocate of Acronis scheduled backups? It seems that with a scheduled backup, I would never have a stale backup of more than a week old. It can also be scheduled to perform Daily backups.

Congrats, in getting that laptop up and running within a minimum amount of time.

Tim
    Quite honestly, I never set up a schedule. We predominately use our laptops, which we turn off most often when not in use, so I just manually reImage. Under different circumstances I would most likely use the scheduled tasks to do this automatically. I just have to remember to do so. The just under 2 hours would have been much less with an up to date Image and much less had I already set up the partitions I decided to do when this happened. Oh well, live and learn.

The whole point was to get everyone thinking of Images and how easy they are. My previous thread of instructions for using Acronis was for this very purpose. I could have spent hours trying to figure out what happened and fixed it, but this saved me a lot of time and agravation. As I stated earlier, if I had an up to date image and the partitioning was already completed (next time this will be the case) I could have been up and running in about 15 minutes. That's pretty good.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tim
    I advocate use of Acronis scheduled backups - I do this for several computers on my network. Mine run every Sunday morning, at about 3 AM.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ted - After reading about what happened to your wife's laptop, I decided to try out the feature in Acronis to "Create Backup Task" - scheduling. ........ I ran a scheduled backup this afternoon and it seems to have worked great. Performed a Verify later in the day and all seems OK.
    Update - Today was the first test after my prior post. In Acronis, my Scheduled Backup is scheduled to run on Friday afternoon and all went very well today.

Tim

Thanks
    Tim,

Glad this worked for you. I just do not see the need for scheduling in my case. I do love Acronis however. This has been one of my best purchases ever. Thanks again to Fred for suggesting it originally to me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted