Lounger
    Thanks
    I just received in the mail from a Pharmaceutical company, a USB Stick that when you insert it, it causes a web browser to open to their site and plays a presntation. After viewing the presentation, I thought great, Now I have a new USB Stick that I can use. WRONG! It wont let me access the stick at all. It does not show up in My computer. (Windows 7 Ultimate BTW) or windows explorer or the computer management module under Storage/disk management. There has to be a way to wipe it clean and be able to use the stick. What a waste if not. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    HH,

Hold down the SHIFT key when you insert the USB device. This will prevent the programs on it from autorunning. Hopefully, you will then be able to access it via windows explorer.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    HH,

Hold down the SHIFT key when you insert the USB device. This will prevent the programs on it from autorunning. Hopefully, you will then be able to access it via windows explorer.
    Been there, done that. Any other Ideas? Thanks for your help though!

Thanks
    Some potentials to try out, one of them is bound to work...

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=114319
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAlRBnLcXdk
    http://www.entsperren.net/JAU/

Download the utility.
    Unzip it to a folder.
    Run the program to install the utility.
    Plug your USB memory key into your notebook.
    Now run the program that you just installed.
    Select the device (your memory key)
    Choose your file system (I used FAT32)
    Enter a Volume label if you want one - this is optional
    Under format options, choose create a DOS startup disk
    Then make sure that you select use internal MS-DOS system files
    Then click the start button
    The above instructions are for: usbmemkeyboot.zip
    Repair_v2.9.1.1.zip from: http://usa.apacer.com/us/index.htm
    (may require formatting after running repair)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the utilities but they were not able to even see the flash drive. When I insert the flash drive it does not show up in My computer. No drive letter, no anything. Certainly there has to be a way to format this drive so that it is usable. Thanks in advance!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H. Harlan View Post
    I just received in the mail from a Pharmaceutical company, a USB Stick that when you insert it, it causes a web browser to open to their site and plays a presntation. After viewing the presentation, I thought great, Now I have a new USB Stick that I can use. WRONG! It wont let me access the stick at all. It does not show up in My computer. (Windows 7 Ultimate BTW) or windows explorer or the computer management module under Storage/disk management. There has to be a way to wipe it clean and be able to use the stick. What a waste if not. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    folder option-view-show hidden files or folders

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bong tubera View Post
    folder option-view-show hidden files or folders

Been there, done that as well. Thanks for your answer though. This USB Stick has me going crazy! What a waste to not be able to format and access it. I am thinking of using a very strong magnet to wipe it clean. But I thought there must be some sort of software solution. I am still holding out hope that someone will come through!

Thanks
    Some more potentials:
    Fixed: USB drive unusable, unformattable, and reporting 0 bytes capacity
    Recovering Broken, Unformattable, and Ghost USB Flash Drives **** (has potential)
    Formatting an Unformattable Pen Drive… A simple DOS Command

Many of those company give-away USB drives are very cheap with a short lifespan, even if you do manage to format it, it may not last long. Something to keep in mind.
    The above link with the stars is a guide I had previously not seen before. Def worth a look.
    Good luck.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H. Harlan View Post
    I am thinking of using a very strong magnet to wipe it clean.
    Don't think this will work with flash memory......

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know this is an old thread, (I just joined) but I'm wondering if you had any luck Lazerbiz?

Those flash drives, in your case a Web key, when produced by a Pharmaceutical company for a Doctors use, are purposely loaded and locked so that the uploaded info can't be deleted and any remaining memory, is not unavailable for use.
    Reason being, the flash drive would then be considered a gift/incentive, which is forbidden, at least here in Canada.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe a Linux disc can access it? (Ubuntu,Mint etc). As Linux uses a different boot loader so maybe can bypass the lock. (Only maybe though)
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.