New Lounger
    Thanks
    Recently, upon reaching the Microsoft splash screen, I hear a spinning/humming noise and it takes about [s]20[/s] 60 seconds to move through this screen. This happens about 1/3 of the time.
    (EDIT: It takes about 60 seconds on the splash screen when I hear the spinning/humming. The times I don't hear any noise, it moves through this screen in only 9-14 seconds. This is the splash screen I'm talking about.)

I first noticed this after configuring my laptop to dual boot Vista and Ubuntu (Vista was already installed). Thinking this problem was related, I I tried restoring the Vista bootloader to the MBR (instead of Grub2, which Ubuntu had overwritten the MBR with), but I still experience the problem now that Vista is back in control of booting.

Do you think this could be related to the dual boot? Is this symptom cause for alarm? Any suggestions for diagnosing the problem or fixing it? Thank you for any advice you might have.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Franklin View Post
    Recently, upon reaching the Microsoft splash screen, I hear a spinning/humming noise and it takes about 20 seconds to move through this screen. This happens about 1/3 of the time.

I first noticed this after configuring my laptop to dual boot Vista and Ubuntu (Vista was already installed). Thinking this problem was related, I I tried restoring the Vista bootloader to the MBR (instead of Grub2, which Ubuntu had overwritten the MBR with), but I still experience the problem now that Vista is back in control of booting.

Do you think this could be related to the dual boot? Is this symptom cause for alarm? Any suggestions for diagnosing the problem or fixing it? Thank you for any advice you might have.
    Brent, Welcome to the Lounge.

How old is the PC? This sounds surprisingly like it could be a hardware failure, possibly a HD. Make a complete Image as quickly as you can in case it is the HD and fails completely. Is there a cd/dvd in the optical drive that may be spinning? If so remove it. Does the humming noise end? Perhaps something as simple as this is going on and not a HD failing. No matter, make the Image before you loose you HD.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome and the advice. Luckily, I did backup all of my data before I repartitioned the HD to install Ubuntu and I do have Vista recovery disks as wel. But now that you've warned me it might be the HD, I will make frequent backups of the files I'm still working with.

My laptop is just 2 years old. I've taken pretty good care of it (compared to most laptops I see around). I had actually left a DVD in the drive, but removed that days ago and the sound+lag persist. Since I only hear the sound during the Microsoft splash screen I was hoping this might indicate something other than hardware. Or maybe not the whole HD, but just a bad sector or something like that?

Thanks
    Brent,

You might want to do more than just back up your data. Read my thread on what just happened to my wife's PC. I also have a thread with instructions on using Acronis for Imaging. Check out these 2 and other threads on Imaging. Imaging is the quickest and safest way to save yourself when disaster strikes. Have a look. Imaging will restore your entire HD much quicker than reloading everything.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I've been meaning to look into imaging. But at the moment, I'm more concerned with whether my hardware is healthy. Any suggestions for how I can diagnose the problem?

Thanks
    Thanks, I've been meaning to look into imaging. But at the moment, I'm more concerned with whether my hardware is healthy. Any suggestions for how I can diagnose the problem?
    You could try accessing the smart data to see if anything is amiss, or download and run your hard drive
    makers diagnostic utility.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Try the Clean Boot diagnostic procedure:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint, I took your advice and ran the Western Digital diagnostic tool. The SMART data was all fine, but the extended test found bad sectors. It encountered an error when trying to repair the bad sectors. Is there some utility that would help me locate the bad sector? The Western Digital report didn't give details. I'm also wondering if the MBR is the bad sector.

Jerry, I'm wondering if that Clean Boot method (trying to find the faulty service through process of elimination) is going to work for my problem. Since the issue is encountered before I even reach the login screen, wouldn't this mean that no services would be running yet?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've edited my initial post to include more accurate details about the problem.

I ran Scandisk and got the following report (I'm just including stages 4 and 5, as the earlier stages were clean). This did not fix the problem. I have since still encountered the noise+delay at startup. Do you think these problems are unrelated? Or was Scandisk just not able to fix it?

CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    Read failure with status 0xc000009c at offset 0xa6bb89000 for 0x9000 bytes.
    Read failure with status 0xc000009c at offset 0xa6bb8f000 for 0x1000 bytes.
    Read failure with status 0xc000009c at offset 0xa6bb90000 for 0x2000 bytes.
    Read failure with status 0xc000009c at offset 0xa6bb90000 for 0x1000 bytes.
    Windows replaced bad clusters in file 161059
    of name \Windows\System32\DRIVER~1\FILERE~1\MP470P~1.INF\P RN2KXP\CNMPV.DLL.
    197488 files processed. File data verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    13182364 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.
    Adding 2 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.
    CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
    master file table (MFT) bitmap.
    Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.

Thanks
    The Clean Boot will use the minimum number of Microsoft only Services and start up commands necessary to get Windows running - almost like Safe Mode. If you still have a problem in the Clean Boot environment, you most likely have a hardware problem like the disk issue mentioned above or heat or bad memory. If the system works in the clean boot environment, you have a software issue that you can identify via a process of elimination.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've edited my initial post to include more accurate details about the problem.

I ran Scandisk and got the following report (I'm just including stages 4 and 5, as the earlier stages were clean). This did not fix the problem. I have since still encountered the noise+delay at startup. Do you think these problems are unrelated? Or was Scandisk just not able to fix it?

CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    Read failure with status 0xc000009c at offset 0xa6bb89000 for 0x9000 bytes.
    Read failure with status 0xc000009c at offset 0xa6bb8f000 for 0x1000 bytes.
    Read failure with status 0xc000009c at offset 0xa6bb90000 for 0x2000 bytes.
    Read failure with status 0xc000009c at offset 0xa6bb90000 for 0x1000 bytes.
    Windows replaced bad clusters in file 161059
    of name \Windows\System32\DRIVER~1\FILERE~1\MP470P~1.INF\P RN2KXP\CNMPV.DLL.
    197488 files processed. File data verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    13182364 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.
    Adding 2 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.
    CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
    master file table (MFT) bitmap.
    Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.
    you may use
    3rd party low level formatting softwares free to download and install, or if it's a newer drive you may use a zero-fill and diagnostic utility. you may google softwares for this.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem seems to have gone away. I encountered the lag/noise on the second reboot after running Scandisk, but now the past dozen or so boots have gone smoothly. Maybe it just took a couple reboots for Scandisk's repairs to take effect.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem seems to have gone away. I encountered the lag/noise on the second reboot after running Scandisk, but now the past dozen or so boots have gone smoothly. Maybe it just took a couple reboots for Scandisk's repairs to take effect.
    i wont bet that the problem really gone away, i have seen alot of hard disk failures that have gone a long time before really showing. I would advise a backup image just so in case your hard disk will finally go to harddisk heaven

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bong tubera View Post
    i wont bet that the problem really gone away, i have seen alot of hard disk failures that have gone a long time before really showing. I would advise a backup image just so in case your hard disk will finally go to harddisk heaven
    See my post #2 and #4 for similar recommendations. HD are strange in that they can become symptomatic, then seem to improve right before they die. No one can predict how long between these 2 things.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    See my post #2 and #4 for similar recommendations. HD are strange in that they can become symptomatic, then seem to improve right before they die. No one can predict how long between these 2 things.
    Sir Ted's right, yupyup