New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, I've searched the lounge and Google, but can't find a result that describes my problem.
    I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

When I start up the computer, I get as far as the Desktop showing with all icons, but no Taskbar appears and several applications don't start as they would if the start-up proceeded normally.
    In order to overcome this, I have to press Ctl+Alt+Del and select "Log Off" and then log back on after which everything normalizes.

Has anyone else encountered such a thing? I'm too far along to attempt a System Restore or a full image restore. I can't think of anything I've installed that would have caused this.
    I use the Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Thank you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you waited for a long time for the Taksbar to appear?

What happens if you create anothe userid and login to it?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Have you waited for a long time for the Taksbar to appear?

What happens if you create anothe userid and login to it?

Joe
    Thanks for your reply Joe. I've left for a cup of coffee and it's still a no-go.

I haven't tried your suggestion - good idea.I'll try defining another account tomorrow.

Terry

Thanks
    Also, what apps are loading in the background? Most people have a lot loading because most apps we install think they should be running all the time and set themselves up like that by default. You could use msconfig.exe to selectively shut down these apps one at a time to attempt to isolate if one of them is the culprit. Notice I said apps, NOT services. type msconfig.exe in the search box. Look in the Startup tab (I'm at work now and not on Win 7, I believe it's startup in Win 7 as well). The procedure is pretty easy from this point. If an app is the culprit, you can uninstall and reinstall. If you have lots of things starting, you may want to consider slimming down the list as these will cause longer boot times and consume resources. In my experience most apps do NOT have to be running in real time to start up quickly when you need them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have seen this, and its other variation which is a dialog that pops up telling me that Windows could not find my settings. I noticed this happening first with Vista, and now with Win7, but at least it is rarer under Win7. At first I suspected a bad hard drive, but then it happened on both of my laptops, and still happens on my desktop even though the OS is not on a different hard drive. And my daughter indicated that it happens on her PC also.

Unfortunately, the only solution I know for it is to log out and back in. Though I have noticed that if I am in a hurry and enter my password in as soon as the password prompt appears that I run into the problem more often. So now I get a snack, hit the john, or some other task that takes only a minute or two to let the OS warm up. Then I log in.

I know that doesn't fix the problem (I have no idea what the root cause is), but maybe it will help you some.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wait a minute. Things are coming back to me. I recall having my PC in the state where the taskbar would never show up. I had to hit CTR-ALT-DEL to get Task Manager running, kill explorer.exe and start it up again (from File | Run in Task Manager). I tracked the problem down to some software (don't recall which software, though - if I think of it I'll repost) that I had installed that added a "helper" to Explorer and it was that helper that caused the problem. I overcame this problem by running autoruns and under the Explorer tab I unchecked everything that had to do with that software. You could uncheck everything that does not come from Microsoft, or also leave checked any items from software that you have used for a long time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.

This morning I also found that this is intermittent. The first time I started up, all went normal without having made any changes (I hate intermittent problems). I tried shutting down and starting again and the logon wouldn't complete again. I started Task Manager and terminated explorer.exe and then started it again which enabled the logon to complete.

I then started Autoruns and experimented with disabling certain explorer add-ons and shutting down and starting again. I couldn't reach a satisfactory conclusion, so I uninstalled the most recently installed applications (Zoner Photo Studio & PickPic) as well as preventing the start-up of several small tray apps (Pure-Text & Sandboxie). After all that, I was able to start up normally 3 times in a row.

I'll see how that works in the next few days. If it continues to start normally, I'll try re-installing and re-enabling those apps one at a time over several weeks to see if the failure re-occurs at some point that might clearly identify the culprit.

Thanks again folks.
    Terry

Thanks
    The easiest way to troubleshoot startup issues is via the Clean Boot procedure. See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Jerry