New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Office 2003 on Windows 7. When I save a .PPT file to the desktop, the resulting icon is blank. When I save that files to my Documents folder, the file bears the regular PowerPoint icon. But when I copy that same file from that folder to the desktop, the icon on the desktop is blank.

What's happening, and how can I fix it?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As no one has replied to my earlier posting, I thought I'd add some information that MAY suggest the nature of the problem (and, I hope, a solution) to someone.

In addition to the "icon of a PPT file appears white on the desktop, but appears normally when placed in any folder" problem, I cannot LOAD Excel spreadsheet files (.xls files) by clicking on them. I get a message that "there was a problem sending a command to the program". If I open Excel and do "file/load" and point to that same Excel .xls file, it loads fine. I'm running Office 2003 under Windows 7.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried running "Detect and Repair" (found under Help in any Office 2003 product)?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I have tried "detect and repair". I have not tried uninstalling Office 2003 and reinstalling, because, as annoying as the Excel icon/failure to load is, it's not worth having to re-do the customizations I've made in Word and PowerPoint.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Try rebuilding your icon cache file. See How to Rebuild the Icon Cache in Windows Vista and Windows 7 - The Winhelponline Blog for directions.

Joe

Joe