Thread: Jumping Curser

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Toshiba formerly Vista now Windows 7 with a Logitech wireless mouse. When ever I try to type the curser jumps to another place. I've disconnected the USB so the mouse doesn't work and tried typing using the laptop mouse pad, but nothing changes. You can't imagine how long it's taken me to type this for as many times as I've had to put the curser back to continue typing. What can I do? I have tried Fred Langa's suggestions, but nothing seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You might have a key stuck. You could also try blowing out the keyboard with a can of compressed air.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but no key stuck.

Thanks
    Glen, I have had the same problem on my Toshiba laptop. Try disabling the touchpad, and then use the mouse to see if the erratic behavior stops. It did for me.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    As Gerald says, this is a well-known and notorious cursor problem on Toshiba (and other) laptops, caused by the bottom part of the palms of your hands actually and accidentally 'tapping' the touch-pad area when you typing.your text.

One bodge I heard of was to stick a Post-It note so that it covers the touch-pad when you're typing, but the more techie way is to find where (probably in Control Panel -> Mouse, but YMMV) the sensitivity of the Touch-Pad Tapping function can be reduced.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I disabled the mouse pad and the problem went away. I can't thank you enough. Have a great day.

Thanks
    Happy to help, Glen, and I am glad you have this problem resolved. Thanks for posting back your success.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Glen,

As Batcher mentiones there may be ways to accomplish this without totally disabling the touchpad.

Open the Mouse Properties in Control Panel (I have an Alps Touchpad, but there are only a few different touchpads so I have to believe yours must be similar to mine)

[attachment=89570:2010-08-08_1053.png]

In mine I can temporarily disable Tap when typing. See above figure.

Hope this may help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, I do not have "tapping" as an option under mouse properties. I have the keypad mouse totally disabled and it has stopped jumping all over the place so I will leave it as it is now. Thank you though for your suggestion.