Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all ,
    While I'm still experimenting with "VMware" i came across this free offer, ....don't know anything about it ..but will try it out as time permits . So much software ..so little time http://www.paragon-software.com/home.../download.html Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    keep us posted, I have never seen that one......

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It's not a virtual machine. It copies your existing real PC to a file in a format that can be played on any of 3 virtual machines, MS, VMware and Virtual Box.

cheers, Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    It's not a virtual machine. It copies your existing real PC to a file in a format that can be played on any of 3 virtual machines, MS, VMware and Virtual Box.

cheers, Paul
    Paul,
    Hello... Correct you are . i didn't realize the difference (VM newbie) between the two distinctions. I have tried this program now and it is easy to use, as it sees all of the drives present on your PC . I have converted one of my OS's to a VM format ... Yey! and tried to run it with VMwarePlayer and only got as far as the initial boot screen with a "missing boot file error" Might have something to do with my "Quint Boot PC" Will post back with any further results. Regards Fred.
    EDIT: Ok.. with the "Paragon VM" program i was at least partially successful creating a Virtual machine.. extremely "buggy" and generally unresponsive. The "VM" was 1/4 of my monitor size and had full size "Icons" . Booting was hit and miss If i could click the windows boot manager screen fast enough i could bring up the "VM" otherwise stuck in "Windows Error screen" VMware converter .... i had no luck whatsoever ... just refused to work. (several different reasons) All in all, Paragon will at least let you convert a "partition OS" into a VM format. Maybe VMware converter will work ...but as of now it's "no go"
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

I would point you back to this post and repeat, I think you would be better off doing a clean install........

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    Fred,

I would point you back to this post and repeat, I think you would be better off doing a clean install........
    Hi mercyh,
    I agree ... that would be the best way to go .... However just the thought of having to do a "clean install " on a 3 + year old Vista system and bring "her" up to date is enough to make my last hair fallout That for me is a "deal breaker" If i am going to get this to work, it will be with converting "partitions or images" and I'm pretty sure it would be the same for most who would want to try this out . Just now trying out "macrium's converter and Reflect.. "Img toVHD beta" (thanks for the links) Also "Virtual Box", This last try crashed my PC .... Recovered..... and try again when my head stops throbbing ! Thanks again for your help Regards Fred
    PlainFred