Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    All my bookmarks have been imported from IE and could be rationalized further, but I have no need for IE (because I have the Windows version that comes without IE and Windows Media Player bundled i.e. European version). I use Firefox primarily and am now considering Chrome. What I would like to know is how good the native bookmark systems are within these browsers, and if there are any third-party bookmark organizers available.

Thanks
    For FF go to your bookmarks scroll down where it reads;GET BookMark Addons I can't help you on Chrome though. If by chance you can't find my suggestion.Here's the link;Bookmarks
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    peterg, in FF, bookmarks>organise etc > import and backup then export HTML

[attachment=89575:Untitled.jpg]

Now import to Chrome.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I love xmarks which works for most browsers including firefox, it helps organize but it also syncs all my bookmarks on all my computers plus stores them all on a secure webpage that I can log into from any pc anywhere and have access to my bookmarks.
    http://www.xmarks.com/
    registered Linux user:476595

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for the ideas. They certainly look promising, and I will investigate with those as starting-points. Now that Chrome is becoming a serious contender it wouldn't surprise me to find that they will have a bookmark app for all in the works.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you encountered the PlainOldFavorites FF add-in, reads all your IE favourites straight out of IE, no need to convert or import?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Both FF and Chrome have a host of third party utilities - possibly more than IE.

I used FF for a long time but recently switched to Chrome which is definitely faster than FF.

As someone else mentioned, the Xmarks bookmark and password utility is excellent and synchronises between computers. It works in both FF and Chrome.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ever looked at Link Commander? Seems to work with IE, FF, Chrome and others: http://www.resortlabs.com/
    Has anyone has some experience with this application? To me it seems the developer has gone to sleep (no fresh updates and so on), but maybe I'm mistaken.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie K View Post
    Has anyone has some experience with this application?
    I do. I used Link Commander for some years, but was dissatisfied with the quality of the software and the poor response of the company to these quality issues. They don't very actively support the product from a development standpoint, and when they finally issued a new release, it was such a resource hog as to be unusable. Buggy, too, so I bailed. I switched to a simple program called LinkCollector PC. It offers more limited functionality than Link Commander, but has worked pretty well for me in synchronizing my bookmarks between machines and browsers (LnkCollector, itself, does not automate the synchronizing.) I actually rely on the native browser bookmarks (Opera and IE) more than I use the bookmark minder's database to launch things, but the bookmark minder makes it possible to keep them synced up (I have roughly 3,000 bookmarks). When I tested LinkCollector with Chrome, it gutted the Chrome bookmarks, and there's been no new release since that time.

There is a beta version of LinkCollector that I've tried but dumped, as it was far from being ready for prime time.

So, I can't recommend Link Commander (right idea, poor execution.) Anyone looking for a bookmark minder similar to Link Commander should probably check out LinkStash by XRayz Software.

Thanks
    The thing I hate most about Chrome's Bookmark system is how the folder comes down the right hand side, not the left and there is no way to dock it as there is in FF with the Ultimate Sidebar addon or in IE. Once that's fixed I'll likely go to Chrome completely.
    If you think you're having a bad day, just remember that somewhere out there someone has Snooki as a Mom...

Thanks
    When I installed Chrome a few days ago, it asked if I wanted to import the FF and IE bookmarks/Favorites. I id both. Now I have Chrome with the same bookmarks as the other 2. I'm not really sure yet if I like the way you bookmark in Chrome. Still reserving judgement. Does seem fastest of the 3. I tried the beta 6 version of Chrome, but it would not yet work with Last Pass, and there is no way I will input sign in info manually any more. So back to version 5.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I solved all my bookmark hassles with BookMark Buddy:

Bookmark Buddy

I use a variety of browsers on a lot of different computers (home/work/laptop/netbook/etc) and keeping all the browsers updated with my bookmarks was impossible.

But BMB even has a portable version that runs off a thumb drive, and will open any bookmark on any installed browser (and add a bookmark from any open browser). It will also store encrypted login info and site notes.

I've used it for several years now and can't imagine what I'd do without it. The only drawback I've found is that there is not a Linux version (although I can export all my bookmarks as a single htm file, so they are at least accessible for Linux).

Richard C.