New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Dell Dimension 4100 running Windows XP SP3 and all of the updates thru Aug 2nd 2010. My problem is that today both of my cd drives disappeared from both Windows Explorer and My Computer. Checked the device manager in control panel and see no listing. Tried to get them back with add hardware but nothing coming up remotely looking like a cd or dvd device. I tried rebooting several times but I dont see my cd or dvd drive come up in the POST so I cant even try reinstalling Windows since my media is on CD. I have been fiddling with this for several hours and am at wits end as to how to correct this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    You may need to open up the case and examine the cables to ensure they are fitted snugly.
    cables can come loose from time to time. You shouldn't have any trouble finding more detailed
    info on the Dell site regarding the layout of your case.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J Dalton View Post
    I have a Dell Dimension 4100 running Windows XP SP3 and all of the updates thru Aug 2nd 2010. My problem is that today both of my cd drives disappeared from both Windows Explorer and My Computer. Checked the device manager in control panel and see no listing. Tried to get them back with add hardware but nothing coming up remotely looking like a cd or dvd device. I tried rebooting several times but I dont see my cd or dvd drive come up in the POST so I cant even try reinstalling Windows since my media is on CD. I have been fiddling with this for several hours and am at wits end as to how to correct this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    J,
    Hello, Seems to me unlikely that two drives would fail at the same time so.... possibly some hardware problem ? maybe a loose connector. when you boot and enter into the "BIOS" are they listed ? If not check their input power connectors. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After I posted my question, I did open up the case to check the connectors. They did seem like they were seated but I pushed on them to make sure and while I was in there I did a bit of dust removal too. Anyway, once I booted up again, the drives showed up in my POST and in my Windows Explorer. So there may have been some seating issue on either the connectors or the power. Hopefully, they will stay visible and usable. Thanks for your help...greatly appreciated.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One further question...prior to my drives disappearing, I had downloaded the MS Security Essentials update and run a scan, followed by the malicious software removal tool scan. I have never had problems with these before, but I wonder if they could have caused a temporary software issue. At any rate, thank you very much for your assistance.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J Dalton View Post
    One further question...prior to my drives disappearing, I had downloaded the MS Security Essentials update and run a scan, followed by the malicious software removal tool scan. I have never had problems with these before, but I wonder if they could have caused a temporary software issue. At any rate, thank you very much for your assistance.
    J,
    Hello ... Don't think "MSE" , scan, and the "removal tool" would do anything to your "drives" ... but then again Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I have to agree with Fred. These 2 tools run very quietly and do not consume large volumes of resources. I also suspect your clean up and reseating did the job. Over time, heating and cooling can cause anything plugged in to shift slightly. It does not take much to cause connectivity issues at times. Glad you got everything back on line. By the way have you actually tried the optical drives to ensure something else did not happen when the connections were lost?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, once I saw that the PC recognized that there were cd drives there, I did try them out. I did a Quicken backup to my CD-RW and did a mp3 rip from a cd in my DVD-ROM. All worked fine, so I have to attribute their disappearance to loose connections. Thanks for the help everyone.