New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have three computers at home all running WinXP SP3. Two of them, I can start the company VPN, then start RDP, and log onto my desktop machine. On these machines, when I start the RDP, a Username, Password and Domain field all display and must be filled before being wisked to my desktop machine, where I log onto that machine. On one of my home PCs, no domain field shows up when I start the RDP software, and similarly, the remote machine does not display the domain when I attemp to log on. Logon fails because I do not have the domain field set correctly (because there is no field to fill!). I tried using DOMAIN\Username and that fails. I have tried UNC and IP, and no difference. I have run back and forth from the machines that work, to the one that does not, and cannot find any difference in set up. Any ideas what I should check? Thanks for any help! (My first post for assistance at the Lounge and after many years following Windows Secrets) Thanks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    RDP always works if you specify DOMAIN\username. I suspect the 3rd machine is using an old version of RDP - check the versions of MSTSC.EXE.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    All three machines are running the same version of RDP. Any other thoughts? And thank you.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What does the security event log on the office PC say when you attempt to login using the dodgy RDP client?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, It appears that I can log into the remote machine! The issue now is that the screen on the local machine goes blank when I log in. So I have now found that I can log in successfully, but I cannot see the remote screen. I have checked over and over oscreen resolution, color bits etc and find no difference. Any ideas about what I should look for now? Thanks for hanging in there with me!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How can you tell that you have logged in if the screen is blank?
    What happens if you press Ctrl Alt End - this is the RDP equivalent of Ctrl Alt Del?
    Have you tried VNC?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The event log on the remote machine indicates success in security the same as when I am successfu looging in from another machine. I'll try the Ctrl Alt End and see where that leads. I used VNC years ago. Maybe I should go back to it. May be simpler! Thanks Paul.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    RDP / MSTSC is best, but sometimes you need an alternative.

cheers, Paul