New Lounger
    Thanks
    XPSP2, went to install Client for Microsoft Networks and got the error message that the service could not start because it is disabled or has no devices associated with it. Somehow the Workstation and Computer Browser services have disappeared in services.msc. I can connect to the internet, and the other PC on our network to play games using TCP/IP or IPX/SPX, but cannot see it in My Network Places. The other PC has both services, and CAN see mine in My Network Places under the Microsoft Network. How can I get the services back without reinstalling Windows?

Thanks
    Hi Greg,

You might consider running some scans with a good malware program such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free Edition and SuperAntiSpyware Free to rule out infections. A full scan with your antivirus software would be good too. Since your XP SP2 no longer receives security updates, more frequent scanning would be recommended.

After checking for malware, start the Command Prompt by clicking Start Menu|All Programs|Accessories and right clicking Command Prompt and selecting Run as Administrator. Type in "sfc /scannow" without the quote marks, and take care to include the space between the 'sfc' and the '/' mark. Press the Enter key. The System File Checker will scan your XP installation and replace any corrupt or missing system files. This will only work if you have an XP SP2 install CD or a Recovery Partition on your hard drive that is also SP2. The original XP files or SP1 will not be compatible with an XP SP2 installation.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill