Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure whether this should be a win 7 or networking post
    I have two computers running win 7 home premium on a network one hard wired to a router one wireless.
    I can see both computer on "view network devices" and I can share files and printers between them.
    When I try to use "full network map" I get the following error message:- Windows cannot discover any computer device.
    The workbook on both computers is ' WORKGROUP'. Not using Homegroup as I hope to connect an XP computer later.Both are Home Network.
    All advanced network settings --network discovery etc---are as recommended.
    Any suggestions please.
    Ian MacBean

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Ian,

Interesting...

My Win 7 machines {32bit Desktop & 64bit Laptop} show up up just fine (see below). However my wife's XP SP-3 laptop doesn't show up, but it does on my Network Magic Map (also see below).

However, on my Laptop the WD-Net Center NAS {devices not placed on map} doesn't show while it does on the Desktop at the bottom of the Win 7 Network map.

Unrelated to your post but interesting none the less is that Network Magic tells me my wife's machine doesn't have Anti-Virus installed...All 3 machines have MSE {Microsoft Security Essentials} installed, but doesn't complain about it on the two Win 7 machines.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    My Win 7 machines {32bit Desktop & 64bit Laptop} show up up just fine (see below). However my wife's XP SP-3 laptop doesn't show up, but it does on my Network Magic Map (also see below).
    See Network Map in Windows Vista does not display computers that are running Windows XP for a hotfix for XP SP-3.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Once you have your Network Map open.Click on the,(Network map of) the little arrow to the far right.Which you will see a drop list.And the other computer should be listed.
    If by chance the above didn't help.Here's a link that might;MS trouble shoot
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Fix works fine on my Dual boot XP-SP3/Ubuntu HP Desktop. Can't get to my wife's laptop to try it there.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks as if haven't explained the problem properly. I haven't tried to access the xp computer(as yet) as I know that needs a different procedure.
    I can't get a network map from either of the win 7 computers, just get the referenced error message as above. Interestingly I have booted one the computers to Vista( dual boot system) and that produces a perfectly good Network Map
    Thanks Ron B Owen for the link which I have tried but doesn't address the specific problem

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just in case anyone has the same problem as me I have found a workaround. Failure to load the network map only occurs after waking from sleep.
    Rebooting removes the difficulty which recurs after the next sleep. Would still like to have a proper fix

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning Ian.

>>>> Failure to load the network map only occurs after waking from sleep.

I had this beat from day-1, I never go to sleep, huh! I mean I never put my machine to sleep.

I run two Win 7 machines and also two XPP ones. I found that to get good Network working, the 4 machines have to be passworded in Users. Then, when I try to see another machine, it asks for the PW and after giving it, it opens up. Anybody else found this or is it just me gone to sleep ? JP

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jean
    My set up is almost the same as yours two Win7 and two XP networked, 3 wireless one hard wired. I don't have user accounts or passwords and all the computers share an internet connection files and printers and all use sleep or hibernate. The only problem is with the network map after sleep on the Win 7's----- not I admit a serious problem.
    Ian

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are the two computers members of the same Homegroup? When connecting to an XP machine it requires a defined Workgroup, two Windows 7 machines require a defined Homegroup. Failing to do this will allow the Network & Sharing Center to see the other machine but not any shared files on that machine. Also, make sure both machines are set for Home network and not Public! In that case the computer set to Public will not be visible to the other at all! Most problems like this are usually something extremely simple and thus I remind you to check this before getting into all this other complicated stuff! 90% of the time it's a stupid setting, let me assure you!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ian macbean View Post
    Not using Homegroup as I hope to connect an XP computer later.Both are Home Network.
    Ian MacBean
    Hi Ian,

Creating a homegroup is not necessary in order to network your Windows 7 computers. Using the networking methods that have always been available in Windows enables the sharing of folders, files and printers. However, you can feel free to create a homegroup without being concerned about an XP computer you may add later. While only your Windows 7 computers will be able to use the homegroup functionality, your Windows 7 and XP machines will network together using the standard sharing and permissions that have been used for years, without interfering with the homegroup.

In other words, creating a homegroup will not lock an XP computer out of your network.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. To summarise, I have a home network with four computers 2 with win 7 and two with xp which works fine. All communicate wwith each other via a 'wokgroup'.
    My only problem is that following awake from sleep neither win 7 computer will produce a full network map. Cisco 'network magic' produces a network map so I believe this is a win 7 problem rather than a network problem. Separately I tried the two win 7 's on a 'homegroup' and the same problem occured.

Thanks
    Hi Ian,
    I have found the same problem when I did a check by putting W7 to sleep.

I found a quick work around by clicking my connection in task bar and disconnecting then re- connecting network.
    This only takes approx 20 to 30 seconds and save's having to reboot PC.

I don't normally suffer the problem as I use Hibernation and the problem does not occur. So I guess you are right that it is a W7 sleep fault. I guess its to do with the Link Layer mapper or the Link Layer responder that's used to discover other PC and produce the map.
    [attachment=89929:Capture1.JPG]