4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For many years we've had our email size limited to 10MB. I was hoping to wait and expand that size limit after we moved all our mailboxes to the new Exchange 2010 server but for a variety of reasons that's taken way too long to complete. I need to expand that limit now.

We use Outlook 200 through 2007 and have two mail servers currently active running Exchange 2003 and 2010. Most mailboxes are still on Exchange 2003. We also have GFI MailEssentials spam software with SMTP on a gateway computer which receives email first, filters, and directs email on to the mail servers. We also have a Blackberry BES.

I went through all the places I believe it would need to be changed, adjusting upward from 10MB to 15MB. But I'm still receiving the attachment too large error when I try to attach a file that's 11MB to test the new setting.

I've gone to both mail servers and changed the global setting, changed the SMTP connector setting, changed the SMTP setting on the GFI mail gateway, and as a last resort also changed my AD profile to use the 15MB size limit. Nothing seems to be working.

In all the articles I've pulled off Google none of them say to reboot the server or restart the Exchange services. Is that the step I'm missing? Will that make any difference?
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    When an email message gets encoded for transmission its size increases substantially (30% - 100% depending on the content). So, it is not really surprising that an 11MB file would end up being too big for a 15MB limit.

You can check the email size in Outlook 2007 by opening the email message in your sent items folder, clicking the Office orb, and select Properties.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Outlook won't even allow me to attach the file, let alone send it. The error message I get is, "The attachment size exceeds the allowable limit." I was testing with a 11MB file so it would be just over the 10MB and not too close to the new 15MB limit.
    Daisy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    Outlook won't even allow me to attach the file, let alone send it. The error message I get is, "The attachment size exceeds the allowable limit."
    Could that be set in group policy? If so, have you restarted Windows on the workstation to refresh that setting?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Can you attach using OWA?

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    See Managing Message Size Limits: Exchange 2007 Help. There is no corresponding article for E2010 and in fact I was directed to this article.

Also, see Outlook 2010's Default Attachment Size

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you log into webmail on your server and send the attachment to test if the server will accept it? If it goes through you know it is an outlook setting....

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Two reboots that same day didn't resolve it. Joe's link had some good direction and with a few more adjustments it's now working (not sure which one did the trick). We don't use OWA and I've actually never bothered to figure out how it works because we have a Citrix server for remote email access. Thank you for all the help.
    Daisy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    OWA is just a matter of opening a bowser and going to http://exchangeserver/OWA. If you have Exchange 2010 and use a CAS you can point to the CAS/OWA.

cheers, Paul