2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Outlook Express on the old XP computer. Now have new computer with Windows 7 32 bit and have installed Windows Live. How do I move the messages from OE on the old computer to the new computer and be able to read the old messages. I thought I could back up the .dbx files and copy them to the new computer and then import them. That did not work.

Thanks
    Try this...

Before you transfer emails from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail on Windows 7, you need to move the email accounts. This is important.
    In Outlook Express, click on “Tools” -> “Accounts“. This brings up the Internet Accounts window. We are concerned only with the email accounts. Select the account (you may have more than one) and hit the “Export” button. Exporting email accounts will save the information in a .iaf file.
    Copy the .iaf files on a pen drive (flash drive) or a CD and take them to the Windows 7 computer. Now open the Windows Live Mail program. Click on “Tools” and select “Accounts“. By the way, if you don’t see the top menu bar on Windows Live Mail, use the Ctrl-M key combination to make it visible. In the accounts pop, use “Import” function to get all the account information in the new email client. You would have to import accounts one by one if you have several of these.
    It’s now time to transfer emails from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail on Windows 7. Export the messages from Outlook Express (“File” -> “Export” -> “Messages“). Copy them on a flash drive or a CD and then import them to Windows Live Mail (“File” -> “Import” -> “Messages” -> “Outlook Express 6” – check screenshots below. http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/bl...ail-windows-7/
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I already have the accounts in Windows Live and want to move the old messages from the old compluter to the new one. When I am in Outlook Express on the old computer and do “File” -> “Export” -> “Messages“ I get a message that says messages will exported to Outlook or Exchange. Clicking OK, I then get a message "the export could not be performed. An error occurred while initializing MAPI." So still can't move the messages to Windows Live.

Thanks
    MAPI error messages when you import or export messages in Outlook Express
    Method 1: Reinstall Outlook temporarily
    If you are importing mail from Outlook into Outlook Express, but you have already removed Outlook from your computer, reinstall Outlook, and then try to import the mail again.
    Back to the top
    Method 2: Change your MAPI Settings
    Configure Outlook Express to not be the default Simple MAPI client before you import the mail items. To do this, follow these steps:
    Restart your computer, and then start Outlook Express.
    On the Tools menu, click Options.
    On the Connection tab, click Change to open the Internet Properties dialog box.
    On the Programs tab, click an e-mail application other than Outlook Express in the E-mail list. Click Apply, and then click OK.
    Click OK again to close the Options dialog box.
    Exit Outlook Express, and then restart Outlook Express.

You can now import or export messages.
    NOTE: After you complete the import or export process, you can configure Outlook Express to be the default MAPI client. For more information about how to configure Outlook Express to be the default MAPI client, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    178077 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/178077/ ) Set Outlook Express as your default Simple MAPI client
    Back to the top
    Method 3: Upgrade to Windows Live Mail to import or to export messages
    Windows Live Mail is an e-mail program that you install on your computer. Because Windows Live Mail stores messages on your computer, you can access, read, and compose e-mail messages even when you are not connected to the Internet. When you connect, Windows Live Mail sends and receives messages and updates your accounts.

To download Windows Live Mail, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview (http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview)
    For more information about Windows Live Mail, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...6a1381033.mspx (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...6a1381033.mspx)
    You may also try hard coppying the OE store folder to a usb thumb drive and then import your messages from within the WLM client.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Error Message while Importing

I get an Import Message Error - No messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open. Please select another folder or try closing applications that may have files open.

This is a new computer that does not have Outlook Express on it and I checked the folder and all the .dbx files are there. I am at a total loss on why it won't take the message in Windows Live Mail.