2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am ready to pitch my Vista machine (since it won't boot up) and removed the 500 Seagate drive. I want to install it in an enclosure and use it on my new Win machine. Since Vista is installed, is there any special process to remove windows, which is likely corrupted? My intention is to use that drive and copy my files and Outlook email to my new system, then reformat the drive for additional storage. Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    you should be able to just put it in a usb enclosure and format the drive using windows 7 disk manager (after you copy the data you wish to keep). Your machine should not try to boot this drive unless you are set to boot from usb in the bios, so just deleting the old windows files or reformating should do the trick...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, that is what I thought. Now I dind that removing the HD from the HP machine is difficult. It is mounted vertically and must have a different wiring system since there is no 36 pin plug that I am used. Will I need a different enclousure?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The drive is a SATA and your enclosure must have that type of connection. Check out TigerDirect - example link follows:
    SATA Enclosure

Thanks
    When you are ready to transfer the data files, etc, try the Win 7 built in Easy Transfer. It seems to work well for user setup and transfer of user files. Will not work for apps, they have to be installed, but should work for user files. A suggestion that I have recently followed was to partition my HD into seperate partitions for OS/apps and data. This allows Images of just the OS and apps to be created without having to touch the data partition, and is more efficient. Check it out.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, good morning to you.

>>> This allows Images of just the OS and apps to be created without having to touch the data partition, and is more efficient

If you are using TI, Acronis, how can you image back, if needed, as it will flush the whole destination HD, I presume that this is a clone operation. ? ? ? Set my mind at peace.

There are so many ways to use/abuse TI. I am under the impression that using the plain vanila backup, the MBR is not copied. Is it ? JP.

Thanks
    ATI allows you to choose which partition or the entire disk to Image. When a data partition is created, you can make the OS partition much smller, say 75 GB and reserve the rest for the data partition. In my scheme I Imaged the whole disk first in case the HD fails all together, then I imaged just the OS partition since it is quicker to create up to date Images of just the OS partition. This way if my entire HD fails, once I install a new HD, I will install the entire HD Image to the new HD, then use just the OS Image to install my latest Image to the "C" (OS) partition and be back in business in less than an hour including installing the new HD. Clone are used to basically transfer your HD to a new HD in real time by connecting both simultaneously and transfering the clone from one HD to another HD.

When you have to restore an Image, you select which partition to place the Image into, i.e. If I have to reinstall the entire HD I will select all partitions whereas If I need to just restore the OS partition I will use the second Image (Just the "C" drive Image) and choose to restore into the correct partition on the HD. This allows me to just restore the OS and not touch the data partition.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    With Acronis True Image, you can choose to restore individual files as well and choose where to restore them. Personally I feel you need to regularly back up daata as well as the OS system files so i don't see any particular advantage to split them into two partitions and do two image backups instead of one partition and one image backup.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Witalka View Post
    With Acronis True Image, you can choose to restore individual files as well and choose where to restore them. Personally I feel you need to regularly back up daata as well as the OS system files so i don't see any particular advantage to split them into two partitions and do two image backups instead of one partition and one image backup.

Jerry
    I believe the biggest problem is that to be truly effective in restoring an Image, the Image must be kept up to date with any changes. If your Image is, lets say, one month old (Not uncommon to see much older than this), and your data on the main partition changes quite often, what happens to that data when you restore from a one month old or older Image. The data will be very out of date. If the data is kept in a seperate data partition (which is backed up as well), and you hose your OS for whatever reason, the OS Image can be used to restore the OS (generally "C" drive) without touching the data. If you have not had major changes with the OS (new apps, etc) then a one month old Image will give the needed results much quicker than having to restore the OS and restore the data. This way all you will have to do after restoring the "C" drive is apply any updates to the apps. Simple.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted