Thread: MBR Missing

Thanks
    Hi Loungers, have any of you experienced a missing MBR after doing a 'restore' when using Acronis 2010? It never occured using version 11.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Never happened with mine, and I have had to restore from Image numerous times. Many articles exist to repair your MBR. Here is one such directly from MS. Good Luck. I started a thread on deleting a Linux partition and fixing the MBR which worked very well for me and does show the appropriate method which should fix your MBR as well.

I suspect somehow when you created the Image the MBR was not copied correctly. I have no idea how this could have happened. Did you at some time have a dual boot system and elliminated one of the OSes that may contain the MBR? The MBR is contained in the first OS you have and is added to by subsequent OSes if I'm not mistaken. When the dual boot is elliminated the MBR needs to be repaired so that the remaining OS will boot. Just guessing here.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi Ted, fixing it was easy, which I have done. After posting, I searched Acronis forum and found this:-
    -
    An explanation is as follows. When you installed Windows the installer created partitions with the newer Vista/Win 7 offset of 1 MB (2048 sectors). TI uses the older partitioning standard that has been in existence for many years where partitions have offsets of 31.5 kB (63 sectors). When TI restores a partition it is realigned to the older standard offset. This realignment causes the boot process to fail since the pointers in the registry that tell Windows where the file BootBGR is located are now invalid.

Booting from a Windows 7 DVD and repairing the installation will fix this. TI 2010 is supposed to automatically make changes to the registry to avoid this problem. What I don't understand is why TI failed to do this for you. However, the fix in your case is simple. Now that you have the system repaired and booting properly, make a new image. This new image should restore without issue.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning Ted.

" Here is one such directly from MS " This got dumped to my printer ! I will forever keep it, what a nice .doc to have. Thanks.

I hope never to have to use it but some of my friends have a knack on how to SUE a system. JP.

A typo was edited.

Thanks
    Thank you Jean. Unfortunately I hated to use this as well, but use it I did, a couple of times so far. Those of us that experiement with our PCes will inevitably fudge things up once in a while. Generally restoreing our up to date Image is all we need, but every so often something else works as well or better.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy