New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've written a VB prog and set it up to run as a service on XP using srvany. I've set its startup type to automatic, and I have it depending upon the spooler service (as I understand this is usually one of the last services to load).

On boot, the service shows as started, but the program doesn't appear do anything (it's supposed to catch session locks and terminations and kick of an ftp sync when it sees one).

If I restart the service, then it behaves as expected - i.e. it triggers the ftp sync when it notices a session lock or termination.

As a workaround, I've written a quick batch file to restart the service at logon - but it's bugging me why this should be necessary - when it's set to automatic anyway.. and does appear to start.

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!

Cheers
    Darren

Thanks
    Open control panel then click on Administrative Tools then Component Services.Check to see if your program is set on manual or automatic.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ron.. and thanks for your reply.

Yep..it's set to automatic.. and it does actually start (you can see the process in task manager). It's just that, following a reboot, it doesn't actually do what it's supposed to do - until I restart the service. Im struggling to see why bouncing the service is necessary when the service is being started automatically anyway at boot time.

The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is the timing. As I said previously, I've made the service dependent upon the spooler service.. as I seem to remember reading that the spooler is one of the last services to load. Maybe there are services that start after the spooler and I need to specify one of those as a dependency .. but I don't know how to check the service startup sequence...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you build a start up delay into your VB code? That should identify whether it's SRVANY or your code.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul. and thanks for your reply. If what I'm trying at the moment doesn't work, I'll give your suggestion a try and let you know how I get on.

As things stand, I've found a registry entry which shows in what order the service groups are started, but nothing yet for the individual services within those groups. Interestingly, there are 9 groups later in the list than the SpoolerGroup. I'm currently trawling the registry to see if there are any services I run which belong to one of these later groups - which I can then use as a dependency and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers
    Darren

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok.. I didn't get anywhere trying to find a later service on which mine could depend. So, Paul, I took your advice and changed my code. There's now a small delay before my code starts looking for session notifications.. and it appears to be working!

Thanks again all..

Darren