New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an assembler program I've been using for years. Today I needed to re-assemble my project (after discovering a bug), but was surprised when up popped a window that says "Access violation at address 00024bbf in module 'CASM08Z.EXE'. Read of address 2020202C." What's going on?
    So, I tried the same thing on my laptop. And got a similar error! Now I'm really confused.
    In computer A, there is a bug in the bios which combines with SP3 to create havoc, so I haven't allowed windows to do any updates for quite a while, and it's an aged version of XP SP2. It seems one can't blame this problem on Windows updates.
    On computer B, I have been allowing updates regularly, so it seems one can't blame the lack of an update.
    It seems unlikely that both computers would become corrupted the same way at the same time. Hmmm, unless it's something like AVG doing the dirty work? There's an idea. I turned off its "resident shield", but that didn't seem to make any difference.
    I re-installed the program, and it seems that it's a newer version, since the .exe file is larger. Same problem.
    The only other thing I can think of I've done on both computers is run "mydefrag". Could that cause a problem?
    How can I figure out what's going on?
    How can I recover from this situation so that I can fix my bug?
    The program in question is an HC08 assembler from pemicro.com. Since it's a free download, I'm not sure that I can get any help from them, and I'm not sure that it's their problem anyway.

Thanks
    The best thing I've always done is UNinstall a program with this FREE program here;Revo-UninstallerBe sure to read the read me file with in the program carefully! Re-uninstall the program in question.Then before you reinstall the same.Close out your anti-virus program completely.Disconnect your ethernet cable from your computer if you feel a need to.Reboot your computer then try your program again.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    There seem to be a few free HC08 assemblers out there, including one from Google.

You could try creating a virtual machine with a bare OS just to run the compiler.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I figured it out. The problem was nowhere near where I thought it would be!
    It turns out that as part of my make procedure, the source code is fed through the cygwin grep program before it is assembled. Apparently, cygwin changed the grep program so that it always outputs Unix-style files, even if the input file is a dos-style. (NL (=LF) as line separator instead of CR/LF) An Unix-style text files cause the assembler to croak.
    The solution was to add the -U option to the grep invocation.

For your information, I did briefly look at some alternate assemblers. The google link mentioned previously led to an almost empty project. There are two source files available, Java written in some foreign language, and I don't think nearly enough code to be useful yet.

At http://www.aspisys.com/asm8.htm is a promising looking assembler, but every time I try to give it a file to assemble, it does nothing (other than create two empty files and hang).

My next experiment would have been http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/as/download.html, but since I can proceed with my old way of doing things now, I will leave well enough alone.