5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook email delay (Access 2K SR1)

I have a couple of Access databases that automatically generate and email reports. I am now working with the Security Update-version of Outlook 2000, and each time these databases try to do their stuff, I get the following message box warning generated by Outlook:
    <hr>A program is trying to automatically send e-mail on your behalf.
    Do you want to allow this?

If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose "No".<hr>
    Is there a way to write a module for my databases that could detect this box, wait for the "Yes" button to be activated (5-second delay built into the warning), and then choose "Yes" to allow the process to continue uninterrupted?

I know this idea runs counter to the whole concept behind Outlook's security update, but unlike macro security in Excel there is no way to flag my own work as "trusted" and work with (instead of against) the security features.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook email delay (Access 2K SR1)

The problem is that the new generation of worms and trojans *does* hijack your email from a "trusted" location, your own machine. How are you calling Outlook from Access? Are you using Office automation or just SendMail? I haven't tried sending emails from Access since Access 97, so I'm just suggesting some clarifications that may help you get an answer from others who have used it recently.
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The databases use the macro command "SendObject". The whole command (shown here after being converted to a module) is:
    <hr>DoCmd.SendObject acReport, "YTD_SummaryReport", "RichTextFormat(*.rtf)", "%recipient list%", "", "", "Weekly Disposition Report", "Attached is your copy of the weekly report. blahblahblah.", False, ""<hr>
    What I'm thinking is that with Excel I recently set up a SelfCert certificate to sign my own macro work and thus allow my own files to work with the high security settings. I am unaware of any such possibility with Access, so if a module could be added to each separate database that I want to have unimpaired email access -- yet still restrict unlimited general access from "foreign" databases -- that may be a suitable workaround to Outlook's global restrictions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

We took Woody's advice and in most cases left our users on SR1 of Office 2k. Of course we run virus/trojan protection on both our servers and workstations. Unfortunately when you go to Office XP the problem gets stickier. Hopefully Microsoft will provide a facility to avoid the issue in the near future. Sorry I can't be more encouraging.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

SendObject is the lowest level security. You might try it using office automation instead and see if that makes a difference. There's also a thread <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=vb&Number=40616&page=0& view=collapsed&sb=5&o=186&fpart=1#Post79979>here</A> in VB/VBA/.Net that might have some useful information for you.
    Charlotte