2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have a MS Word 2003 document that seems to be corrupt. It is a 40Mb 235 page long document with lots and lots of tracked changes - I want to create a new document and copy & paste the content of the corrupt document to the new one. Often this gets rid of any rubbish. trouble is, I need to retain my tracked changes in the new document exactly as they were in the old one. Is this possible? At the moment, anything I copy is (naturally) shown as a change to the new document.

On a related note, I attach a screenshot showing the footnotes which are corrupted. Every time I try to insert a footnote with a number rather than a symbol, I get this weird footer text "commercial in confidence" and a page number showing up in ghostly grey above the footer - it is not selectable at all. I have no idea where this comes from. I have checked all the styles to make sure the footer reference style etc is ok. Any ideas?

cheers
    Dom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I wouldn't even try to solve the footnote issue while you are tracking revisions - there are too many places for the problem to reside until you accept all the revisions. However, if you take a copy of the file and accept the revisions then if the problem still exists, you should be able to track down the actual problem and resolve it. This would give you a guide as to where the problem resides and then you might be able to apply the same fix to the original file.

On the case of copying revised text to another document and retaining the revisions - have a look at this excellent information by Shauna Kelly
    http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/shar...ngesworks.html
    Look specifically at the section titled How to copy text containing tracked changes
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Q: How do I copy text to another document without copying the track changes?

provides the answer:

Q: How do I copy text to another document without copying the track changes?

In the donor document, turn on Track Changes. (In Word 2003 and earlier, ensure that TRK on the status bar is dark. In Word 2007 and Word 2010, ensure that the status bar says "Track Changes: On".)

In the recipient document, turn off Track Changes. (In Word 2003 and earlier, ensure that TRK on the status bar is dimmed. In Word 2007 and Word 2010, ensure that the status bar says "Track Changes: Off".)

Now copy and paste.

Q: How do I copy text to another document with the tracked changes?

In the donor document, turn off Track Changes. (In Word 2003 and earlier, ensure that TRK on the status bar is dimmed. In Word 2007 and Word 2010, ensure that the status bar says "Track Changes: Off".)

In the recipient document, turn off Track Changes. (In Word 2003 and earlier, ensure that TRK on the status bar is dimmed. In Word 2007 and Word 2010, ensure that the status bar says "Track Changes: Off".)

Now copy and paste.

However, Clare discovered that if you have a table containing tracked changes, and you select only the table, then the tracked changes won't copy into the new document.

The workaround is to select a paragraph before or after the table as well as the table itself. Make sure Track Changes is turned off, and then copy. Now, the tracked changes will copy along with the text.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for the advice... the problem is, I can't accept all changes because the client wants a marked-up version of the document! I am sure I could've got round this long ago if only I didn't have to track them

Having said that, the info about copy n paste with tracked changes allows me to get the content into a new document, which will probably resolve the issue completely.
    cheers again.,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dom_donald View Post
    I want to create a new document and copy & paste the content of the corrupt document to the new one. Often this gets rid of any rubbish.
    I find that when I do this I just end up copying also the rubbish.

re Copying text with track changes
    Anyway, if you DO want to try to copy & paste the content of the corrupt document to the new one, would the following be sufficient approach?

1. Make a Doc #OldA by rejecting all track changes.
    2. Copy the text into a new document Doc #OldB.
    3. Make a Doc #NewA by accepting all track changes.
    4. Copy the text into a new document Doc #NewB.
    5. Regenerate your track changes by doing a new Doc Compare between Doc #NewB and Doc #OldB.
    - avi

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just now as part of my own work, using Word 2003, I copied text from a Word 2003 document with track changes, and to my surprise I got also all the original track changes. (Not my intention, and I quickly rectified the situation.)

(Source doc settings: TRK=false, Display=Final; dest. doc settings: TRK=false, Display=Final Showing Markup)

So the previous procedure I posted may be superfluous.

Maybe I am not understanding you. If so, my apologies in advance.

- avi

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A 235-page document should be around 40Kb, not 40Mb. Something seriously is wrong with the document.

Open a COPY of the document and accept all revisions and toggle off track changes. Save the document using a new filename.

What is the new file size? Does it still seem to be corrupted?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dom_donald View Post
    thanks for the advice... the problem is, I can't accept all changes because the client wants a marked-up version of the document! I am sure I could've got round this long ago if only I didn't have to track them

Having said that, the info about copy n paste with tracked changes allows me to get the content into a new document, which will probably resolve the issue completely.
    cheers again.,
    Dom,

Did it resolve the issue? Including the footer?

Kim