Thread: XP Screen Saver

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Recently my laptop seems to have developed a mind of its own and will revert to the XP screen saver, set at 10 minutes, whenever it wants to no matter how many times I set it to "None." Any ideas why this would be happening and how I can correct it? I have never used screen savers and don't want to start now.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Thanks
    Screen Saver Troubleshooting from Kelly's-Korner:

Screen Saver Disable and Screen Saver Enable (Line 51) (Regedit)

Deleting ScreenSavers

They are considered operating system files and are protected from being deleted or overwritten. To delete them, delete the copy in Windows\System32\dllcache first, then the one in Windows\System32. You'll be given a warning that the files are missing/corrupt. Tell it not to replace them.
    Either of the above should do the trick, otherwise you have some kind of software or os setting specifically preventing screen savers from being set to none.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I clicked on both of them but when I clicked on the second one it wanted to open or save a file. Is it a Registry edit or does it just tell me how to disable the screen saver by preforming a manual Registry edit? I really don't want to delete anything that is part of the OS.

Thanks
    H Lewton

Thanks
    The downloadable script at Kelly's-Korner will not delete anything, it will simple disable and or enable the stated function.
    It can also be achieved manually by editing the registry.
    The site is a well known and trusted resource for Windows XP. Let us know if the script works for you.

This is the contents of the script offered at Kelly's-Korner for disabling and re-enbling screensavers, make sure you are running as the administrator:
    Dim WSHShell, n, MyBox, p, p1, t, cn, Caption, itemtype, errnum

Set WSHShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    p = "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaveActive"
    itemtype = "REG_DWORD"
    t= "Choose Accordingly"

On Error Resume Next

n = ws.RegRead(p)

errnum = Err.Number
    If errnum <> 0 then

n = 0
    End If

Caption = "1 = Screensaver Enable, 0 = Screensaver Disable"
    On Error Goto 0

cn = InputBox(Caption, t, n)
    If cn <> "" Then
    WSHShell.RegWrite p, cn, itemtype
    End If

If cn <>"" Then
    'MyBox = MsgBox("You must Log Off/Log On for the changes to take effect.", vbOKOnly,"Done")
    End If

VisitKelly's Korner

Sub VisitKelly's Korner
    If MsgBox("This script came from the Tweaks Section of Kelly's Korner" & vbCRLF & vbCRLF & "Would you like to visit Kelly's Web Site now?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton, "Visit Kelly's Korner") =6 Then
    wshshell.Run "http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm"
    End If
    End Sub
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    (Line 51)
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much.
    H Lewton