5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Boy, do I need help!

Cannot figure out how to copy my Word2002 template to a new PC running Word2003.

I thought the easiest way would be to save a document in old PC as a template and then open that in the Word2003 PC. Even tho it appears in C:\Documents and Settings\default\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\NewNormal.dot, it is still a Word doc.

So, any way that you can suggest to copy the template from PC to PC would be great - - and where to place the darn thing!

Thanks in advance, Uncle

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Based on the name of your template, why isn't it called Normal.dot?

What happens if you double click that template on the Word 2003 machine?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I gave it that name because I didn't want to mess with the current Normal.dot(wherever that is).

When I click on the 'template' it opens as a word document (document 1). As I said, it is still showing as a Word document.

So, can you suggest another way for me to copy the 2002 Template to Word 2003. As you can tell, I am not at all a techie!

thank you for your time.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That is how templates are meant to work. The idea of a template is that you use it as the basis of starting new documents. If it opened itself then you would have to take extra steps to ensure that it didn't change next time you wanted to start a new document the same way.

If you want to edit the template itself (rather than create a new unsaved document) then you can right click it and choose OPEN instead of the default NEW which happens when you double-click a dot file.

Here are some links for background reading on templates to help you understand what is going on a bit better.
    TechTrax Normal.dot Template—Explained
    AddBalance - Template Basics in Microsoft Word
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826839
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Solved. I hope what I did might help others.

I emailed Normal.Dot from "old" PC. In "New" PC, I renamed Normal.dot. I then opened the email, saved it to Desktop. I then opened the Template folder C:\Documents and Settings\default\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates and moved Normal.Dot from Desktop to that folder and, so far, it's fine!

I do thank you, Andrew, for your posts.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    While you are on the subject, there are plenty of downloadable template sets available online. Some are free (at least I got several major sets free), often for a trial period, which can be very useful. Here is one (trial) for Office 2003. Of course you can always download templates directly from MS for free.