Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Windows 7 OEM

  1. #1
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Seymour, USA
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hello everyone,

    I have been considering purchasing a new computer with Windows 7 supplied by the builder.

    It is my understanding that if it is necessary to reinstall Windows 7 on the same computer (say its really messed up) you can't use the OEM license key.

    Does that mean it would be necessary to purchase another OEM package?

    Thanks

    raiderfan

  2. #2
    Super Moderator CLiNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California & Arizona
    Posts
    6,121
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 609 Times in 557 Posts
    Yes you can use an OEM version of Windows 7 to restore or reinstall from as needed provided that that is what the manufacturer provided you with. You can use the OEM license key that was provided by the manufacturere
    or builder for reinstalls.
    The builder saves some money by using an OEM version of Windows 7 and then selling them preinstalled. It's the next best thing to getting a full version, certainly far better than a factory image or restoration image on a partition.

    GOOGLE: windows 7+OEM license agreement
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

    Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

  3. #3
    Gold Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Johnson City, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    3,202
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 215 Times in 202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I have been considering purchasing a new computer with Windows 7 supplied by the builder.

    It is my understanding that if it is necessary to reinstall Windows 7 on the same computer (say its really messed up) you can't use the OEM license key.

    Does that mean it would be necessary to purchase another OEM package?

    Thanks

    raiderfan
    raiderfan,
    Hello..... One other point.. With the "OEM" pre-installed "OS" you will end up with all sorts of "PC Bloatware", things attached to the OS that have little or nothing to do with the OS itself (other than annoying you). Try and find out if you can "not agree" to the installed stuff and return it to "MS" Supposedly can be done. Just don't Accept the "EULA" and contact "MS" FIRST... If this works ...buy your own" Windows OS" in whatever flavor you want. You will be better off even if it takes some time, and $$$. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

    None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

  4. #4
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    828
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
    buy your own" Windows OS" in whatever flavor you want
    Actually, you don't have to do that - instead borrow a Windows 7 installation DVD (update or full retail, doesn't matter), make sure it is the exact same flavor you have. Then install it but do NOT enter the installation key when asked, and do NOT activate. Instead, after installation is finished, go to Computer | Properties and click the "Change Product Key" link under Windows activation, enter your OEM license key and then activate. I used this mechanism to restore my daughter's laptop when she accidentally wiped her drive, including the restore partition. Then you will have a "clean" system without having to spent the $$$ on an upgrade copy. (Of course, some retailers provide heavily discounted upgrade versions if you buy a PC, I would take advantage of that to upgrade from Home Premium to Professional or Ultimate, and do a clean install with the upgrade DVD.)

  5. #5
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 936 Times in 856 Posts
    I would offer another option. Clean up the factory install with The PC Decrapifier (I'm not kidding, that is what it is called) Uninstall all the other junk you do not wish to remain using a good uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller to completely uninstall the junk. Install all the apps you truly want or need. Clean up all the temp files using CCleaner or similar product. Do a good defrag using Auslogics Disk defragmenter in similar app, then create an Image of your HD or partition. This will then allow you to get back to where you are in less than 1/2 hour if disaster strikes assuming your Image is up to date. I reImage whenever a major change takes place or once a month to be ready.

    If you reinstall the OS from your manufacturer disk then you have to start from scratch and get rid of all the junk and reinstall all your apps. This is much more time consuming to get back to where you were than the restore from an up to date Image. Think about it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

  6. #6
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fishkill, New York, USA
    Posts
    435
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 35 Times in 31 Posts
    Ted is on target and I would only add that Macrium Reflect is a a good FREE program to make that image
    Click here

  7. #7
    Gold Lounger Roderunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Scotland.
    Posts
    3,462
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 216 Times in 183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    Actually, you don't have to do that - instead borrow a Windows 7 installation DVD (update or full retail, doesn't matter), make sure it is the exact same flavor you have. Then install it but do NOT enter the installation key when asked, and do NOT activate. Instead, after installation is finished, go to Computer | Properties and click the "Change Product Key" link under Windows activation, enter your OEM license key and then activate. I used this mechanism to restore my daughter's laptop when she accidentally wiped her drive, including the restore partition. Then you will have a "clean" system without having to spent the $$ on an upgrade copy. (Of course, some retailers provide heavily discounted upgrade versions if you buy a PC, I would take advantage of that to upgrade from Home Premium to Professional or Ultimate, and do a clean install with the upgrade DVD.)
    Hi Peter, does this method work with Vista Home Premium?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

  8. #8
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 936 Times in 856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Monroe View Post
    Ted is on target and I would only add that Macrium Reflect is a a good FREE program to make that image
    Click here
    I would suggest Acronis True Image Home 2010 for this Image. I love it. With a little shopping around you may be able to find it even less expensive.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •