3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I saved PDF file (size 2,734KB) as a Word 2007 document, same exact file, and the size is 144,781KB! I noticed that, intead of one body of text, the document is now numerous tables of text, say 3-5 tables per page, with a paragraph or so of text in each table. There are also numerous pictures in the document, but that is the same for both the PDF and the Word document. The most notable change is this numerous amount of tables.

Any ideas if they are what is causing this huge file size, or what some other causes might be?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ben000 View Post
    Any ideas if they are what is causing this huge file size, or what some other causes might be?
    Tables increase file size, but anything anyone says without examining the file is pure guesswork.

If you extract the .docx to disk using a ZIP utility, can you track down where the biggest parts are? Perhaps the problem is something uncompressable like JPEG files, or binary OLE objects.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd guess that the pictures are all in the document at transferred to the pdf in their original size. Word will remember the original picture size unless you deliberately compress all the pictures.

As an experiment, take a copy of the document and remove all the pictures and save as a pdf. What size is the pdf then?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, folks. I compressed the images to web size, which reduced the file size from the 144MB to around 60MB. A great reduction, but it's still too large to send via Outlook. Can folks suggest other ways of compressing a docx file, if there are additional ones?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ben000 View Post
    Can folks suggest other ways of compressing a docx file, if there are additional ones?
    The text portions are already compressed using ZIP algorithms.

So per my question above, where are the big pieces?

As a test, I saved a 77-page, 800K DOC containing 83 tables to DOCX format (from Word 2003 using the converter). This yielded a 490K DOCX file, showing the success of ZIP compression. I extracted the contents of the "ZIP" file to a new folder named Word2007TEST and then generated the attached directory listing by opening a cmd window, navigating to the parent folder (in this case, My Documents), and running:

dir /s Word2007TEST > docxsize.txt

[attachment=89611:docxsize.txt]
    (I replaced my actual username with username in the attached.)

You could generate a similar file for review.
    Attached Files Attached Files