Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've become frustrated with MS Help in Office 2010 Pro Plus, particularly Word. I don't get appropiate answers--just a whole list of articles that often aren't even related to the topic at hand. For example I couldn't find an answer on how to activate the Developer Tab. I had to go to an Internet search for that "How To". As a sample this morning I queried "bulleted lists" and got multiple articles on Smart Art, but nothing on bulleted lists or numbers.

Have I not loaded an important component of Help? Has anyone else had that experience? Thanks, Judy
    Thanks much, Judy Crawford

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Judy,

I don't have 2010 but do have 2007 Pro and the help works just fine {see below} for your question. Did you use quotes?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I also get frustrated with Office help but for the developer tab I got the following the first item of which answers your question.

[attachment=89607:Capture.PNG]

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Help definitely seems to degrade with each new release. However, the Help normally connects you to the on line data and this is forever being updated and improved. I expect that by the time Office 2012 comes along, the help in Office 2010 will be usable.

Your off-line help data will probably be updated with the first servicepack.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, you got me to thinking. I had help set to offline, must be the installation default. Anyway once I set to online in the lower right corner. I had the same items in help that you had. Thanks for getting me to think! Judy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thinking is usually a good thing. Glad to have encouraged it. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I always have the same trouble with help in Word 2007. Even when online, I just get a bunch of sentences with little or no relevance to my question. I find it easier to go to a search engine to find the answer. Word 97 had an excellent help facility; whey can't Word 2007 do the same?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree that your choice of online help must have given you a far better result than the local help files, but I'm still surprised that the local files are considered inferior to what they once were. I'd be interested to learn whether or not the latter are updated with the monthly updates, and I think if not then they certainly should be.

If you google on Office 2010 books you will find almost none, or at least that was my experience, and at this stage of the game it strikes me that the suite is so new (and sufficiently complex) that there isn't much in print as yet. I admit to being a sucker for books with disks that have the full and searchable text that you can copy to your computer.

Online sources can be very good, but it is often a matter of luck in finding them. Any site by a Windows MVP is usually a pretty good bet, not in the Q & A department but in the new and gee-whiz department.

If you want a highly-rated online source that is NOT FREE, (everyone wants freeware these days), that would be Lynda.com, which is widely used in industry and that I personally use (for $25 per month, and less if you prepay for longer periods). I don't have a vested interest in it and I have deliberately avoided making the link live, although that is somewhat academic, but they do have sample lessons that you can take to get a sense of the learning environment. It costs nothing to try, and if it's not your cup of tea then keep searching.

I learned more of what I wanted to know about 2010 in less time with that than I could ever have got from a book, although I had help from both directions: I did not rely upon a single source and I have been delighted to make certain discoveries that are of interest to me and probably of not many others - or so it seemed until I was reminded that Microsoft made numerous improvements on how users worked and what they wanted most, which makes me feel terribly ordinary. What an insult!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Crawford View Post
    Joe, you got me to thinking. I had help set to offline, must be the installation default. Anyway once I set to online in the lower right corner. I had the same items in help that you had. Thanks for getting me to think! Judy
    I have not changed my default help either way, online or offline. When I searched Developer Tab (without quotes) my results were identical to Joe's. I believe the default is most likely set to online. I could not guess why your search was set to offline.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I have not changed my default help either way, online or offline. When I searched Developer Tab (without quotes) my results were identical to Joe's. I believe the default is most likely set to online. I could not guess why your search was set to offline.
    I believe that is an option at product installation. Not sure if it is for all installs or just a custom install.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This site has some Free help info for MS Office modules...
    Office 2010 Quick Reference Guides
    Office 2007 Training Manuals (includes Bulleting in Word starting on page 76)
    Office Training Manuals for 2003 and prior

MS Office Training Manual Download

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tim, FYI, I have already been using that resource for a number of weeks. Have printerd out the quick reference cards for all my new users. It's a good find and easy to use even with some words spelled as an British user would spell them! It get's my vote, too. An early entry in the available Office 2010 resources and is appreciated.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    There have been two references to the Developer tab, but if I'm not mistaken that is one thing that is not on by default.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    There have been two references to the Developer tab, but if I'm not mistaken that is one thing that is not on by default.
    I believe you are correct. Easy enough to turn it on. Just go to File | Options | Customize the Ribbon. In the right column make sure "developer" is checked.

Unforutnately, you have to this for each Office applicaiton.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to make a post that was 'lost' at one end or the other that all Windows applications have readily-accessible blogs from Windows Insiders that you might like to check out, not so much to ask for specific help as to stay abreast of the programs and developments. Just search on 'Word blog' (of which there may be many), or something like that. As I recall it, 'Windows Insiders' may be top of the heap, but high tech, in which case one of the others might suit your needs better. Underground (Guide To) Word seems to ring a bell, but takes us back to the beginning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast