3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My Dell desktop runs Windows XP/SP3. Lately, at least twice a day, the disk drive runs for 20-25 minutes straight. During this time, everything slows down and I can barely do anything.

I've cleaned the cache and removed other tmp files. I've checked task manager and under processes I see System Idle Process taking up 98% of the CPU during this time. It will not let me kill the process. This continues even when all applications are closed.

I keep my antivirus application (Avira Free) and my anti-spyware (Malwarebytes) up to date. I've run those and they show no infections.

I also install all Windows Update.

I checked my scheduled tasks and there are none.

Any ideas?

Mel

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by melvin billik View Post
    My Dell desktop runs Windows XP/SP3. Lately, at least twice a day, the disk drive runs for 20-25 minutes straight. During this time, everything slows down and I can barely do anything.

I've cleaned the cache and removed other tmp files. I've checked task manager and under processes I see System Idle Process taking up 98% of the CPU during this time. It will not let me kill the process. This continues even when all applications are closed.

I keep my antivirus application (Avira Free) and my anti-spyware (Malwarebytes) up to date. I've run those and they show no infections.

I also install all Windows Update.

I checked my scheduled tasks and there are none.

Any ideas?

Mel
    can you run spybotsd, panda cloud antivirus, threatfire, adware, and lastly onecare. before this please run ccleaner. this seems to be a malware infection. thanks and goodluck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by melvin billik View Post

I've cleaned the cache and removed other tmp files. I've checked task manager and under processes I see System Idle Process taking up 98% of the CPU during this time. It will not let me kill the process.
    The System Idle Process measure the amount of time the CPU is doing nothing. There is no reason to kill it. If a program or service is performing much disk I/O that does not necessarily mean it has to use a large amount of CPU resource.

Do you have a third party defrag program that runs automatically?

Can you post a screenshot of your running processes?

Joe
    Joe