Lounger
    Thanks
    I currently have 100 Mbps network speed on my network in my home office.
    The components are 3 PC's (Win7, Vista, XP) connected to a Netgear FS605 v2 Ethernet Switch, which is in turn connected to a 2Wire 2701HGV-E Broadband Modem. I also have a Buffalo Quad NAS connected to the switch with 2TB of storage.

PROBLEM - doing a full backup of a 3 drives (500, 250, 150 GB resp) across a 100 Mbps network takes days.
    SOLUTION: Seems to be to increase the network to a Gbit speed - logically, this should reduce the backup time by a factor of 10 - Yes?

Question (not having done this before) is how do I achieve that?
    Is it as simple as going and buying Gbit router to replace the switch or is there more to it? Would I need to upgrade the Broadband router as well?
    Thank you.
    Brian

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Pocock View Post
    PROBLEM - doing a full backup of a 3 drives (500, 250, 150 GB resp) across a 100 Mbps network takes days.
    It shouldn't take that long on 100mb unless those drives are actually all full. How big are your backup files?

To answer your question on GB speed, you would start by replacing the FS605 switch with a GB speed switch. If you are lucky, your cableing and the current Network Cards (Nics) in your machines will support GB speed. If your computers do not show that they are connected at GB speed you will have to find out if their Nics support it and check your cables to be sure they are good.

It looks like the buffalo NAS does support GB networking and that is the most important.

There is no reason to replace the 2Wire if it is working OK now. (You do not have internet faster then 100mb anyway unless you are very very lucky)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    500, 250, 150 GB = 800GB = 6400Gbits.
    100Mb/s x 6400Gb = 64000 seconds = 17 hours, assuming maximum throughput - which will never happen. Adding network overhead and computer overhead is likely to reduce the throughput by half.
    A 1Gb network will reduce this to 1.7 hours (x 2 = 3.4 hours at best).

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you to both mercyh and PT (again!)

* Win7 Home Premium does not allow Backup across a network (Duh!), so I do a manual copy of the disk to the Buffalo Quad once a month and use Seagate Manager to do a backup with incremental backups to a connected free-standing Seagate hard drive, which of course it does as a background task.
    * For the Vista PC, I use Microsoft Backup to do an incremental backup to a 1TB free-standing connected hard drive and do a manual copy of the files stored on the 1TB drive to the Buffalo NAS. (I started using Memeo for the latter, but it reduces all to snail speed and is horrible to use.)
    * For the XP PC, which really is now just a standby, I do a manual copy to the Buffalo NAS every now and again.

I have checked that the NIC's on the PC's support 1000Mbps (they do) and the Buffalo Quad NAS (it does also) and I am off to the shops in the morning!
    Any recommendations for what make to buy?

Thanks
    Brian

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Whatever is in your price range and has a warranty - they all use the same couple of chip sets and all are about the same speed.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    * Win7 Home Premium does not allow Backup across a network (Duh!), so I do a manual copy of the disk to the Buffalo Quad once a month and use Seagate Manager to do a backup with incremental backups to a connected free-standing Seagate hard drive, which of course it does as a background task.
    This would be faster if you would use something like Macrium Reflect Free and just run an image backup of the harddrive to the quad monthly. These images are mountable so you can pull individual files from them if needed and will restore back to bare metal in the worst case scenario...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The broadband modem is really only used when you go outside your network, so no you don't have to replace that. I don't understand quite why you transfer really big stuff like that over your network? I use an external large hard drive to install these on multiple computers in my network. They're much faster than any network connection. I use my network strictly for sending files to print from the laptop to the desktop on my system and the transfer of smaller files between computers. Anything big gets transferred between the two via external hard drive connected to USB. It's faster and very reliable.