4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Last week I moved our office's intranet to a new workstation running Vista business edition. I installed IIS 7, MySQL and PHP following these guidelines: How to Create a Windows Vista IIS 7 MySQL PHP Web Server I'm still using Frontpage 2000 so after that I added the Frontpage 2002 extensions following these instructions: How to Install Frontpage Extensions on Vista

When all that was done I copied over the wwwroot directory from the old location. And created a share for \\dpnet\wwwroot$ Everything seemed to be working great until I went to update the default.asp page in the default folder.

After making initial changes I could save the default.asp file in the top level folder. But after making more changes it won't let me save the page again. I get this error: Server error: Cannot creat efile "default.asp". It won't even let me save it with a different name or in a different format. I closed the file and restarted Frontpage. The changes I thought were saved the first time were gone.

However, another file I was editing named nmcr.htm in a subfolder allowed me to save changes and after restarting Frontpage those changes are still there. So I tried saving the default.asp file to a subfolder and that worked.

The permission settings on that top level wwwroot folder are the same as the subfolders and match the settings that were used on the old intranet computer.

What did I miss? What do I need to change? Thank you.
    Daisy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: On the computer where the wwwroot directory is located I'm able to use notepad to edit and save the default.asp file in the root directory. Must be how I'm connecting to that folder? I used a wwwroot$ share on the old intranet computer without a problem for many years.
    Daisy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you set the permissions of the share (not the disk)?

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I have myself and my user group full access to that share. Just like I did on the other computer.
    Daisy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just deleted that share and created a new one with wwwroot (no $ this time) with the full access by my user group. Still can't save to the top folder. Argh.
    Daisy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This is either the share permissions or the disk permissions - there are only 2 places to control shared storage access in Windows.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    This is either the share permissions or the disk permissions - there are only 2 places to control shared storage access in Windows.

cheers, Paul
    Turned out to be unrelated to permissions. I had to delete the _vti_cnf subfolder under wwwroot. Once I did that when I next opened Frontpage it rebuilt the directory and then I could save at the root level again.
    Daisy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Disk corruption hey? Always tricky to sort.

cheers, Paul