New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I bought a new power supply for my computer and when I try to boot with it it just freezes at the POST screen, doesn't let me enter the bios either. Now when I plug back in my old power supply, it boots fine. Now you could say "oh this is easy, the power supply is bad" but I don't think so because I watched it boot fine in another computer.

The reason I needed a new power supply is because my old one didn't give anywhere near enough power. I recently upgraded my video card to an ATI 3650 (AGP) and everything was working fine except for my cpu, in games the cpu would lag and cause the fps to go down whenever there were a lot of sounds so I thought it wasn't getting enough power. My new power supply is 400w, my old one is 250w.

Any ideas?

Specs for my computer can be found here.

Thanks
    Is there an error that comes up or any peep code?
    Are you able to reset the bios to it's factory settings?
    Are you using the new cables that came with the PSU or your old ones.
    Some units can be very finicky with cables.

Troubleshooting:
    Everything is connected, snug, and where they are supposed to be.
    Try removing the graphic card and all but 1 module of memory.
    Try posting with the old graphic card.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried just the basics, video card, ram, hard drive (see below), nothing.

I have also tried playing around with the ram and resetting the bios by plugging in the old power supply and then plugging in the new one afterwords, same results with both. I have also tried removing the CMOS battery, waiting a few minutes and putting it back in, nothing.

I noticed when I remove the hard drive I do not get the "no boot device" (w/e it is) error.

I still have some other things to remove and put back in, I just thought I'd reply with what I have tried because I forgot it in my first post.

EDIT: Okay I have tried without the ram, it beeps. I have tried a video card that requires a lot less power, it still doesn't go past the post screen.

Thanks
    How did you go about choosing this new PSU?
    Is it compatible with the HP Pavilion a710n Desktop PC?
    What is the new PSU make and model?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    New PSU is an LS Ultra 400w, model is ULT-LS4000P. Yeah, I wasn't really looking for something that I knew was compatible, I was looking for one that was cheap, a certain wattage (300-400), and had the right number of connectors, this one seemed to have all of those things.

Thanks
    Here's your problem;I have also tried removing the CMOS battery, waiting a few minutes and putting it back in, nothing.
    When you REMOVED the battery you set the bios back to factory default. Which means the onboard video is engaged.Needless to say you need to back into your bios setting's and DISABLE the on board video.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Uhh yeah, that isn't it, for one there isn't an option to "disable" the onboard. there is just an option for AGP/onboard and another for pci, I had it set to pci and it was still using my agp card.

Also, it doesn't really seem like a video card problem because the display shows just fine, it just doesn't go all the way through the startup tests, it stops before it gets to the drive tests.

EDIT: If this helps I attached a picture of what it looks like, sorry if it's a bit blurry.

Like I said it's just stuck here and won't go any further, pressing f1 or any key for that matter does nothing.

[attachment=89624:P8130142.JPG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Try switching PSU rails, if you have another on the back of the unit for the GPU.
    I noticed on the pic of your motherboard that it is the older 20 pin power connection, is your PSU the same, or 20+4?

You need to find out whether it's (new PSU) compatible with that HP/Asus board.

I have also tried playing around with the ram and resetting the bios by plugging in the old power supply and then plugging in the new one afterwords, same results with both.
    Are you having freezes on the post screen with both PSUs now?
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Thanks
    I noticed when I remove the hard drive I do not get the "no boot device" (w/e it is) error.
    If you have access to another computer take your hard drive out & test it in their.If by chance the hard drive checks out in a another computer.Then I would have have to say the IDE connector on the motherboard is bad.You can always buy a sata hard drive though.
    BTW,is this your new video card? Here's the link;My link If it is scroll down to the section of system requirement.
    In the manual for your mother board also states;Install only +1.5v Agp card on this motherboard.Check out the manual sheet that came with your card.I couldn't find any specs on that section.Just a thought.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @Clint Rossmere My old PSU is just a 20 pin, the new one is a 20+4 pin, the computer still works with my old PSU, and I'm not quite sure what you mean by "switch PSU rails".

@chowur With the old PSU removing the hard drive would bring up the "no boot device" error, with this new one it just doesn't want to go past the POST screen at all, this is my new video card: http://powercolor.com/us/products_features.asp?id=195