Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I am helping a friend solve his Skype connection problem.

    His Skype was working fine up until July 25 then he could no longer log into his account. He had always be logged on, not 'quiting' the program but one evening he turned on the computer and he was logged out when he tried to log in the message "Can't connect. Try again later"
    After several weeks of searching, looking in 'settings' ... checking with the Skype forums and even contacting his DSL service provider, no answers have been found.
    He can access the internet just fine and there are no other issues within his Vista running computer.
    However, there was one instance in June or May ( not sure of the date) where his computer was not able to get the interent. It was determined that a certain Windows Update had blocked his access. He did a Restore to a point before the update took place and then he was able to log in.
    Using that past issue, he checked what Updates took place and he found that an Update took place on July 25. Now we are both suspicious of this Update. However, since it has been several weeks, there is no longer an option to Restore to a point before that update. (in XP one could restore several months in the past)
    So, I ask here on this forum, has anyone else experienced a 'connect' problem at this time period? Can this Update be uninstalled?

    Any suggestions as to how to proceed?
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,571
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Has he tried uninstalling and reinstalling Skype?

    What firewall is he using? Has it been updated recently?

    Joe
    Joe

  3. #3
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Has he tried uninstalling and reinstalling Skype?

    What firewall is he using? Has it been updated recently?

    Joe
    Joe, he has uninstalled Skype 3 different times. This latest uninstall was done with the help of his provider who suggested a program called Revo which searched all registry for any remnants of the program. He then installed a fresh copy of the latest Skype. He still could not log into Skype. He sent me his login information to see if I could log into his account and I had no problem so his account is active and working.

    He has only the Windows Firewall active and his Norton firewall disable (he says the two firewalls are incompatible) The Windows firewall is set to ALLOW the Skype program.

    The puzzling thing is, everything else works in his computer, only Skype. We checked his Skype settings ... we checked his proxy settings in his Explorer browser.

    On July 24 Skype was working, on July 25 it was not. Windows did an update on July 25. Can one uninstall updates?
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

  4. #4
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,571
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Garrett View Post
    Joe, he has uninstalled Skype 3 different times. This latest uninstall was done with the help of his provider who suggested a program called Revo which searched all registry for any remnants of the program. He then installed a fresh copy of the latest Skype. He still could not log into Skype. He sent me his login information to see if I could log into his account and I had no problem so his account is active and working.

    He has only the Windows Firewall active and his Norton firewall disable (he says the two firewalls are incompatible) The Windows firewall is set to ALLOW the Skype program.

    The puzzling thing is, everything else works in his computer, only Skype. We checked his Skype settings ... we checked his proxy settings in his Explorer browser.

    On July 24 Skype was working, on July 25 it was not. Windows did an update on July 25. Can one uninstall updates?
    Yes, you can uninstall an update. Do you know which update was installed?

    Joe
    Joe

  5. #5
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    My friend sent me a list of all the updates that were installed on July 25. I am posting them here in hopes that someone has expertise enough to see if one of these updates might interrupt a communication program like Skype. [attachment=89651:JurisUpdatesJuly.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is short, eat dessert first.[media]http://www.radreise-verlag.de/UBCmedorand.jpg[/media]

  6. #6
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    philippines
    Posts
    185
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Garrett View Post
    My friend sent me a list of all the updates that were installed on July 25. I am posting them here in hopes that someone has expertise enough to see if one of these updates might interrupt a communication program like Skype. [attachment=89651:JurisUpdatesJuly.jpg]
    try uninstalling activex killbit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •