Lounger
    Thanks
    A few hours on and I'm getting that sinking feeling. I've tried Thunderbird and can't get it to work after several attempts. What is the prescribed method for emailing onW7? Should I go back to XP and Outlook 2000?
    Someone must have made this journey before - any tips folks
    W

Thanks
    Hi W,

I use Thunderbird in Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. What is the nature of the difficulty in getting Thunderbird to work?

Another alternative is Windows Live Mail, part of Windows Live Essentials that can be downloaded free from here. Vista came with Windows Mail, but Windows 7 did not ship with any mail client. Windows Mail (Vista) and Windows Live Mail are not the same. More like cousins, if you will. The Windows Live Photo Gallery is pretty decent. I have not used Messenger or Movie Maker, but I have used Windows Live Mail some, and it seems pretty good as well. However, I have been a Thunderbird user for several years now. You can install an add on calendar program in Thunderbird called 'Lightning', which is useful for posting appointments, and there is a 'To Do' list available as well.

The more recent versions of Thunderbird try to set up mail accounts almost automatically with only minimal input from the user such as name, and password, etc. But I have yet to see it set things up correctly for my specific mail account with my ISP. I have to interrupt the process to do it manually, like I normally always had to do with earlier versions. Is this part of the issue in getting Thunderbird to work for you?

Once you are more familiar with Windows 7, you will really like it. The only reason I still have a PC with XP installed is in the hopes of someday finishing some games I bought in the last five years, most of which will not run well on Windows 7. One or two will, but not the others.

Browse around the Windows 7 forum, and you will be able to pick up a lot of information on many questions you now have, or will have in days to come. You will always find plenty of help here.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Gerald
    The tip about the appointments function in TH will be very useful to me - when I get TH installed. I went through the automatic process bur the error message is saying 'wrong password' - but I've only entered the one - my usual one.
    The error message is:
    Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com responded: invalid user/password
    I am on btinternet - but in truth I do not understand the tie up between btinternet and btyahoo - but something tells me the problem is between the two?
    A supplementary problem is that on the TH home page I now have two folders for mail and if I try to set up again .from scratch I'll get a third - can't seem to be able to delete these accounts I've tried uninstalling and re-installing but to no avail. Is the a guide for doing the manual mset-up, Gerald?
    Cheers
    W

Lounger
    Thanks
    A PS, Gerald
    I've got it working by going to the manual system - and I've deleted the unwanted accounts.
    The remaining problem is that in setting up the last account manually I got a rather strong message from TH about the dangers of not having encription. Had to overide it. How can I now make the set-up safe?
    Cheers
    W

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whealie View Post
    A PS, Gerald
    I've got it working by going to the manual system - and I've deleted the unwanted accounts.
    The remaining problem is that in setting up the last account manually I got a rather strong message from TH about the dangers of not having encription. Had to overide it. How can I now make the set-up safe?
    Cheers
    W
    W,

Glad to hear you got TB set up! I had the same experience when I got my Thunderbird set up. Unfortunately, the last time I contacted my ISP, they had no availability for secured transmission of email. Can you believe it? I believe our neck of the woods made the transition from clay tablets to computers just one generation ago!

Best thing to do is contact you ISP for information on parameters to change for encryption they support so you can enjoy some security with your email. Hopefully your ISP is not as backward as mine. I am going to contact mine again to see if there has been any change.

To check for TB Add-ons, click on the Tools menu and then Add-ons. Click the Get Add-ons button, and then Browse all Add-ons. There is a large library of add-ons available. The calendar add-on is named Lightning. You can probably find some great add-ons that will come close to the functionality of Outlook.

Post back what you find out from your ISP.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Gerald
    A few points
    I have found and loaded the calendar - very useful.
    I went to the other thread you mentioned but couldn't find my topic?
    Today - for no reason - TB is now receiving but not sending - doesn't like 'mail.btinternet.com' - but that is the correct SMPT as used on my other two computers and as has worked for the past day or so!?
    Hey Ho
    Cheers
    W

Thanks
    W, glad you like the calendar add-on.

Have you contacted your ISP? If outgoing mail worked for a day or so, maybe they are having some difficulties?

Have you found out anything from your ISP about securing your email?
    Deadeye81

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have n't contacted ISP provider - BTadvisors are all in India - say no more!
    Still struggling with TB set-up
    Where exactly am I meant to find the TB thread continuation, Gerald?
    Cheers
    W