Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a registered copy of an old program called CardShark Hearts, which was developed about 1993. It ran fine on my Win XP SP2 desktop. When I upgraded to SP3 for Win XP, CardShark Hearts still runs but frequently crashes with an "Overflow" error dialog popup. I installed it on my new Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit laptop, but it won't even open. When I try to open it, I get a Windows error dialog that says "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running". I've used the Win 7 "Troubleshoot Compatibility" wizard to change the compatibility settings sequentially to every Windows version from Win 95 to Win XP SP3, but none of these work (i.e., the program still won't start). Since this is my favorite version of Hearts, I'd really like to find a way to get it to work on Win 7. Any advice?
    Thanks,
    Vance Hamilton

Thanks
    You may need to use a Virtual Machine.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You won't be able to use Microsoft Virtual PC with Home Premium but you can use this:

http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...owtopic=777169

Thanks
    There ia a work around to allow XP Mode in Win 7 Home Premium. This is the MS version of the virtual machine, but because of your Home Premium version, you can't use the original XP Mode.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CardShark Hearts is probably a 16-bit app (given its age), and 16-bit apps will not run in 64-bit Windows. I suspect that if you look you can find a replacement Hearts app.

One question - is it a Windows app or a DOS app? If a DOS app, then you could try DosBox - I use DosBox to run old DOS apps that I still like to use (I still like to play Warcraft II and DosBox is perfect for it).
    http://www.dosbox.com/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't let DOS and 16bit stop you... I have DOS 6.2 with network capabilities running on a VM on Windows 7.

I also have it running in a VM on Windows XP that is dual booted with OS X on a 27" iMac for one of my customers.

Thanks
    Sometimes software can be installed in the WOW64 directory.
    As an example, I use the ancient DVD conversion/compression programs; VFAPIConvEN and dvd2avi1.77.4. They will
    only work in 64 bit Windows 7 if some of their files (ini/dll) are installed to the WOW64 directory.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.

@Peter Johnson2191: CardShark Hearts is a Windows app, so unfortunately DosBox won't work for this problem. I can find plenty of more recent Hearts programs (and I've tried a number of them), but I just strongly prefer CardShark Hearts.

@Clint Rossmere: Since your suggestion was the simplest, I tried it first. Unfortunately, putting the dll and ini files in the SysWOW64 directory (either with or without putting the exe file there, too) didn't work.

@mercyh, Ted Myers, and RussB: It does look like installing a virtual machine is my only hope. I've read mercyh's tutorial, the article linked by Ted Myers, and several other similar on-line articles about how to do this with either Microsoft's Virtual PC (using the described workaround) or VMware Player. Either way, it appears that I need a valid Win XP activation key to install and run a Win XP virtual machine. The only valid key I have is the one for my current desktop's OEM Win XP Pro. My understanding is that I can't legally use that one because I'm still running XP on my desktop, so using the same key for a virtual XP on a different machine (my laptop) would be a violation of the EULA. Much as I dislike Microsoft's pricing and licensing terms, I do my best to stay honest and keep to the license terms of all my software. So unless someone has another idea that legally works around this, I guess my only recourse is to spend 80 or 90 bucks to get a Windows Anytime Upgrade to upgrade my laptop's Win 7 Home Premium to Win 7 Professional. I'll have to think long and hard about whether it's worth that cost to me. Sigh....

Again, thanks to all for the swift and thoughtful replies.

Vance Hamilton