Thread: NOD32 failed

New Lounger
    Thanks
    so NOD32 let Security Center 2010 into my computer. then when doing a full system scan NOD32 said there where no infections. that god for a image i keep. when i ask eset how the virus got though and why they did not find it, there replay was to download some free programs and get rid of the problem. now Security Center 2010 has been around for awhile. so why do i need to buy eset program when they want me to use another company's free one to fix problems they should have been able to start.
    richard

Thanks
    No AV app is 100%, especially with a fraudulent security program that does require some operator assistance to get into your PC. When these things pop up the best way to prevent infestation is to use Task Manager to stop the pop up from running. Many of these things have been reprogrammed to start the infestation when you click on the Red X in the upper right corner.

To use Task Manager when the pop up has opened, press Ctrl/Alt/Delete simultaneously and choose Task Manager then follow the prompts to stop the task.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi Richard, and welcome to the Lounge!

In many cases, malware such as Security Center 2010 gains access to a computer by alerting the user to an infection via a popup on their display (usually within an internet browser), which often results in the user clicking somewhere on the warning message, which in turn permits Security Center 2010 a foothold on the computer. The best way to shut down the warning is to avoid clicking anywhere on the popup, (including the red X box normally used to close programs), right click the Windows taskbar and click Task Manager , and right click the process for the open browser and choose End Process. This will shut down the browser and hopefully the offending popup. If not right click on the process Explorer.exe and select End Process. This will shut down Windows Explorer, which controls your visible desktop and open windows. You should reboot your computer at this point. This should keep you from infection if this is the method it uses to attack your computer.

Malware of the nature of Security Center 2010 does a good job of masquerading as your legitimate malware protection software, and many have been victims of such attacks. I gather from what you said that the infection has been dealt with and your system is now clean.

If you are still experiencing infection, check out this PCTools website for instructions on how to completely remove all traces of XP Security Center 2010, which is what you were probably hit with.

Keep in mind that no security suite is 100% effective at warning of impending problems. It is a good idea to download the free versions of MalwareBytes Antimalware and SuperAntispyware to run weekly on demand scans to supplement your active AV and AM (antimalware) protection.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    so until one clicks in the window the program has not installed it self?? i had never thought of nto clicking the red X. next time i see it i will just use task manger but you know it can be difficult to recognize the process from all that are running normally. course i have seen NOD32 stop other programs from web site from downloading so it was interesting it did not pick up this piece of malware. and then i wounder by what method security center 2010 starts to run, so that i can close down that route.
    thanks
    richard

Thanks
    This is why these type of attacks are getting exceeding difficult to control. The bad guys are getting better and causing the average person to allow bad things to happen or helping those bad things along. My wife works in a university IT dept. and one of her co-workers did something very similar. This shows that everyone can fall for these.

I guess bottom line, if it's not something you initiated, shut it down by unconventional means to save yourself the hassles.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy